Advise on better scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

a242789

Hello - I have a WS1040 - about to send back - I am not able to receive P25 Phase II with it and I have a number of counties I wish to listen to that use it. That being said what to get. I don't want to break the bank but regardless would like to hear recommendations. Also considerations given to having decent software to program the scanner. So if you don't mind recommending something that meets these requirements:

DIgital / Analog
Includes new P25 Phase II (anything else new that I am missing?)
Software - able to program from RR; read existing radio config; add to it; upload back to radio is a must

I have looked at the TRX-1 by Whistler since I had the 1040 but wasn't sure about the EZScan software.

Thanks in advance.

--Mickey

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
phase 2 choices are limited. TRX1 or 2, Uniden 436, 536 or SDS 100, Unication G5 pager. i have the 536. it does the job.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Would suggest to verify your County isn’t going encrypted before buying another scanner. If not, then the above suggestion is what your looking at to buy. If they are going encrypted, no scanner can touch it.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
TRX-1 is a good solid choice. If your Phase II is digital simulcast the TRX-1 will do okay, but sometimes transmissions are garbled and sometimes what I call the 'champagne sound' - bubbles of nothing. But, the TRX-1 does better on simulcast than my 536. Another good thing is the TRX-1 does DMR and NXDN without having to pay for an additional upgrade. Some will jump in here and tell you the TRX-1 does not 'technically' track DMR trunking, but IMO it does just as well if not better on DMR systems than Uniden scanners. So the TRX-1 is a good one stop shop scanner that does it all, and EZ Scan is very user friendly once you make friends with it ;) But, if you're area is Phase I or II digital simulcast, then you might want to think SDS100, as it is the best out there for monitoring digital simulcast systems. Good luck on your search!

JD
kf4anc

a242789

I found a link to Phase II scanner on this forum. Here...

Digital P25 Phase II Scanners

I was leaning towards to the lower end Uniden BCD325P2. Any thoughts on this one? Software was by Butel or the free stuff but I have used Butel before.

Thanks...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Whistler's WS1088 is another Phase II capable, handheld, choice. (The previous model, WS1080 also works; the difference between the two is that the 1088 has a numeric keypad.) (Plus the others mule mentioned, some of which are base/mobile, not handheld/portable units.)

For the WX1088 and TRX-1, you'd also get DMR capability, with the TRX-1 adding NXDN as well. Public safety in your area will be mostly P25, Phase I, agencies are supposed to convert to Phase II in a year or two (some already are Phase II). Some of the school districts, and other non-public safety agencies, are using either DMR or NXDN. Looks like CIMA is using DMR. DMR and NXDN are also becoming more common for companies to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.