AFRRCS - Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System - INFO HERE

mciupa

Database Admin
From that wiki article above, the Uniden tip worked on my BCD536HP, try Manual and different numbers, it should improve.

Uniden
  • P25 Threshold option can be changed after monitoring the Site with Auto to see the best setting for that System to be decoded on
    • So, if decode is best at 6 in Auto, switch the P25 Decode Threshold for that system to Manual and 6. While 6 isn't a panacea, it's at least a beginning numeric to try starting with, typically up-to 9 in Manual mode will make the biggest difference. Not all scanners allow this ability System/Site specific/individually.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
For what it's worth, if you have a Uniden x36, the most recent firmware update posted over the weekend makes a dramatic improvement in digital reception, including on AFRRCS. I'm getting sustained clear reception in an area where the previous FW resulted in choppy marginal decode if any.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Well, RCMP in my area have gone over to their AFRRCS channels, and I can see them rolling away on my PRO96COM/DSD+ logs, but the radio is silent. On one hand, that's mildly frustrating because there have been some significant police activities in my local area in the past 48 hours, and it's been disappointing not knowing what's up. On the other hand, not having the RCMP talking all the time has let through some other interesting traffic that seems to have been skipped previously, like more Firenet and related traffic and several groups on AFRRCS previously heard very infrequently.

One interesting thing seen on DSD+ is a huge flurry of 'channel/group busy' and 'no resources available' messages now that the RCMP are active. I was kind of expecting that as they have had a habit of talking over one another on PACS for years.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Hey Edmonton folks, anyone feel like throwing an analyzer (i.e. Pro96Com or Unitrunker) on the simulcast cluster and seeing if either SOW is listed as a neighbor?

Last few times I've seen a SOW deployed near me, its neighbor site was 05A-252, so I figure the reciprocal will be true. Curious if they're running either or both of them up in Mackenzie.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
It’s a SOLGEN Photo op. Gotta justify buying the SOW somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SOW, which is now administered by Service Alberta, should be there in case any of the towers are taken out by fire. It also supplies the cache of Agency 990 radios we are hearing being used to co-ordinate on the Prov CET groups that we are hearing here in Edmonton. It's also in a good position to respond to any of the other fires that are springing up in the north.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I have heard from reliable sources that several towers in the area were (and/or are) threatened and the SOWs could fill in for them if they did go down. Also like Harry says, each SOW trailer carries a cache of radios to be handed out (the 990 radios he mentioned) for users who are not already on the system. Furthermore from what I know about the SOW sites, they can also patch existing systems into the AFRRCS network in the SOW trailer itself, if necessary, to extend and interface existing functional comms. So there's more benefit to bringing the SOWs out than just having a mobile tower site.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday I heard Drayton Valley RCMP on 2780. It matches if Thorsby RCMP are on the same group. It does make sense as Thorsby and Drayton Valley were both on the B1 Lodgepole PACS repeater.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yesterday I heard Drayton Valley RCMP on 2780. It matches if Thorsby RCMP are on the same group. It does make sense as Thorsby and Drayton Valley were both on the B1 Lodgepole PACS repeater.

I think Thorsby and Warburg used the same repeater.

Drayton Valley and Lodgepole had/has linked PACS repeaters.

Intelliforce

I have some new info in Lac La Biche. TG 3111 to 3116 consecutively. Radio ids 401xxxx. I’m guessing this might be fish & wildlife. All is encrypted except channel 3111. All they say on 3111 is where they are going. That’s it.

Has anyone started a list of agency id’s they could share ?

01hemiram

Hello ,
I'm new to the AFRRCS stuff and have a TRX-1.
I keep getting what sounds like a phone busy signal on a few talk groups.
Any idea of what I am missing in my programming?

01hemiram

Unsure of the tower, but the talkgroup is 2852 ,2843
When I was looking for these I saw that there is DE in the column, is that digital encrypted? The scanner shows an E on the display.