AFRRCS - Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System - INFO HERE

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Grande Prairie RCMP have switched from PACS to AFRRCS. Haven't been able to log any IDs yet but will try and get some this weekend while I'm around more.

I was wondering because I've seen a few talk groups that I had written down as possibles in your area. I've been seeing 7566 which I believe is Peace River. Grande Prairie will most likely be in the area of group 2746. Grimshaw may be near 2751.

This morning I saw an RCMP Patch on group 3030 with KMOS 4445607 Patch Id 62047. Couldn't find any EPS or RCMP activity around Edmonton.

Microscan

RCMP A2 has gone silent in Foothills County except for the odd call from a Sheriff running a marker. The busiest talk groups on the Aldersyde tower, so far, in descending order are; 2865 Strathmore, 2851 Okotoks?, 2842 High River?, 2832 Cochrane and 2871 Turner Valley?
2851 is definitely Okotoks, it's now the heaviest RCMP user of the Aldersyde Tower. 2842 is High River. I'm all but certain that 2871 is Turner Valley and that 2872 will be Vulcan. 2829 has popped up recently and my best guess is Canmore.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Any thought that 2829 could be Tsuu T'ina? They were still on PACs after Strathmore and Chestermere went to AFRRCS. Canmore is still on PACS, at least as last night.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Canmore AFRRCS can certainly be used to set up before leaving PACS. Due to the alphabetical nature of the RCMP group assignments think you can eliminate Tsuu T'ina.

redtalon

Any thought that 2829 could be Tsuu T'ina? They were still on PACs after Strathmore and Chestermere went to AFRRCS. Canmore is still on PACS, at least as last night.
I believe Canmore is set to switch to AFRRCS in August along with Banff, Lake Louise and Kananaskis Detachments. There may be radio techs using the talk groups setting everything up though.

Microscan

2851 is definitely Okotoks, it's now the heaviest RCMP user of the Aldersyde Tower. 2842 is High River. I'm all but certain that 2871 is Turner Valley and that 2872 will be Vulcan. 2829 has popped up recently and my best guess is Canmore.
Logged Chestermere units being dispatched on TG 2829 in clear last night. I thought that encryption was strapped on AFRRCS Ie. users aren't able to disable encryption either deliberately or by accident.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Logged Chestermere units being dispatched on TG 2829 in clear last night. I thought that encryption was strapped on AFRRCS Ie. users aren't able to disable encryption either deliberately or by accident.

I believe they are strapped but when you hear the dispatch console it's more of a glitch. Are you hearing more than dispatch?

redtalon

Apparently the encryption can be disabled on the dispatch console if the operator inadvertently clicks on the lock icon beside the talkgroup. The techs were trying to resolve the issue with Harris to make it impossible to do this. Still in the works I guess.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I have only ever heard consoles in the clear; the field radios appear to be strapped. That goes for almost all the encrypted agencies on AFRRCS.

Of course, when they go to a no-encryption (mandated) channel like a CET, they are in the clear.