Age and years scanning poll

As a scanner listener, how old are you:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
62, and I date back to the "Little Tiger" AM radio converters. My dad sold them at his store and we had two of them, one for Toledo PD and one for Toledo FD. I guess they came out around 1965 or so? We moved in mid '65, and I think I had them at the old house. I had a bunch of the Regency "monitoradios", many were bought at garage sales or picked out of the trash and repaired. First scanner was a Bearcat III, followed a few years later by a Bearcat 210 that I bought barely used in the box for $40 in 1980. Since then, I've had dozens of handhelds and a fair number of base/mobiles. Newest is a Uniden SDS200 I got yesterday.

w2xq

Mentor
Heh. 77 and in the mid-1950's I began listening to police around 1700 kc using a AM radio. A dual band Lafayette HA-250 (?) 30-50 and 148(?)-174 mc sliderule dial in 1965. I don't remember my first scanner, but it required 8 crystals. And on from there.

PaMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Dangerously close to 65. Started attending computer/HAM fest around Y2K. Purchased a Pro-163 about a dozen years ago. it quickly became outdated so i purchased a Pro-197. Then moved on to a pro-652, just because it was "on sale".

That too was quickly outdated and I recently acquired a TRX-2, which was outdated when i received it. Am now waiting to see what comes out of Hamvention.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
It was my understanding, that someone born in the 2000's era are "millennials"

samcken

Premium Subscriber
I'm staring at 70 right around the corner. The wife got me a pro-433 when they came out about 12 years ago. It kept me good company (especially air and marine) until it died last month. My son got me an SDS200 last week, and wow! what a radio. (Thank god for scanner master videos or I wouldn't have a clue.)

majoco

Stirrer
Got a crystal set modified to get the 49m band which was hopping in the European post war days when I was about 8yo, then got a real radio for my 11th birthday - gov't surplus R1475. I'll be 74yo this month and still have too many radios!

marconi-r1475.jpg

jmp883

I started scanning in 1982 when I was 18 years old. Started with a Regency 4-channel crystal scanner. Still have that scanner, it still works, and it still looks like new. I'm still listening to scanners, I have my General-class ham license, and work as an emergency services dispatcher. Yeah, the radio bug bit me!

commscanaus

I'm 46 and saved hard for a Realistic PRO-33 back in 86'!
Been listening and accumulating ever since.
Not about to give it away anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.