Age and years scanning poll

As a scanner listener, how old are you:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrabbyMilton

Ronin, I thought the same way before I bought my 436HP last year. How am I going to work this thing.
There is a bit of a learning curve and I just recently started using the quick key feature. But once you get it, you'll wonder why you thought it was be so hard.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I messed up and forgot to hit how long I have been scanning. I'm in my 30s, and been listening to scanners since I was a kid but didn't get majorly into the hobby until the 2000s.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
That's disheartening. We dont need jerks making us look even worse. Which units are these kids using? Seems like an awful expensive investment for people that are not old enough to work yet.

I am sorry to hear that. =[

Seems like there are some people around my age here after all! I thought I was all by my lonesome!

I'm thinking scanner apps, which means there would be very little value to criminals in most locations. The whole idea of criminals using a phone app to avoid police is a joke in most places these days. For that matter even an optimal setup using real scanners would have limited value to criminals in 2019 in most locations. I suspect those kids are getting a false sense of security unless someone is running a scanner feed of their agency and their agency puts everything out there un-encrypted on some old system.

Anyway, 52, 42 years in the hobby.

Also I was about to ask if anyone was old enough to have used an AM radio to listen to local public safety and someone already posted that they had...now THAT is "old school". I believe that there were early AM systems that could be monitored on a factory AM car radio, so that would be the only thing more old school as far as I can tell.

CrabbyMilton

I’ve heard of that but before my time.
I think it was one way communication.
Then the cops had to respond via the call box.
I wonder how they called for backup if they were too far from a call box in the days before public safety radio.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
This poll makes no sense with the answers available.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I see. Should be two polls.

I agree. In all fairness, the OP that created this did say they were not quite sure what they were doing. They already had a thread going when the poll was added at a later time in a new thread. Those threads were merged together so the OPs instructions became buried in the middle of the thread.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm 68 and started monitoring when I was about 12. Growing up in N.W. Detroit border line there was seldom a dull moment in the inner city. At the age of 17 the Detroit Riots of 1967 hit and it made for some terrifying listening moments!

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
32 years old. My main draw to the hobby is finding the UNKNOWN. Amateur Extra class licensee as well.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Age 70. First licensed as ham at age 14. If we include listening to SW radio and police/marine on an old Zenith radio, started listening
/scanning at age 10.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I’ve heard of that but before my time.
I think it was one way communication.
Then the cops had to respond via the call box.
I wonder how they called for backup if they were too far from a call box in the days before public safety radio.
They blew their whistle as hard as they could again and again. That's my guess, of course they also shot first and asked questions later in those days. LOL.

I'm 65, so 53 years in the hobby. Started with swl on an old Zenith tube set given to me by my uncle in 1966 when I was 12. He of course took it out of the large cabinet and I just had the guts with the tubes exposed connected to a 200-foot copper wire strung around our fence which my parents were kind of wondering about.

Got a Lafayette He90 with a collinear 3 on the roof (KOG0554) and then had a patrolman Pro 1 slide rule dial VHF High monitor.

My bedroom wall was covered with... Qsl cards. We also use them for CB in addition to swl. A whole different world of course. Terrific Sun activity in those days. Nice memories of a better time.

Last edited:

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
Started monitoring at age 15 on a Radio Shack 4 channel crystal controlled handheld scanner. It covered the agencies I wanted to monitor in our small town. Police, Fire, Sheriff, and State Patrol!
Age 59, enjoy aviation and mil-air.
73, Rex

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I am 47. Was introduced to scanning by a ham at around age 10-11, but didn't actually get a scanner until I was 19 or 20. I had scanners until age 25-26 when I had to sell them to pay my bills, then got back into scanning about 10 years ago. Now I have six scanners ...

Status
Not open for further replies.