Air Med in Henderson County

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Hendersonville City Fire Dept. was just dispatched to stand by at pardee hospital in henderson county for Air Med. They were called to set up an LZ for them, and the term "Air Med" was used specifically on several occasions. I've heard of MAMA and Regional 1, but Air Med is new to me. Does anyone know where they're based at and any frequencies?

Thanks

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Might it be Med Center Air out of Charlotte? They did (maybe still do) keep a helo in western Catawba County as well, so that would not be too far away.

155.325 CTCSS 91.5

Quantar22

Med center air does indeed keep a helo based out of Burke County. The landing pad is directly behind Grace Hospital in Morganton. Most of the time I hear them referred to as Med Center Air so I dunno who the other one might have been. WINGS is out of Johnson City TN so they are out on this discussion..

Grog

Banned
KI4M said:
Med center air does indeed keep a helo based out of Burke County. The landing pad is directly behind Grace Hospital in Morganton. Most of the time I hear them referred to as Med Center Air so I dunno who the other one might have been. WINGS is out of Johnson City TN so they are out on this discussion..

So is that the crew they used to keep at Propst near Baker Mt? Do you know what crew that is, the number? (med 1, 2, 3 etc)

Quantar22

Grog said:
So is that the crew they used to keep at Propst near Baker Mt? Do you know what crew that is, the number? (med 1, 2, 3 etc)

I am not 100% sure if it is or not. I will get to work on both of these questions and hopefully be able to shed some light on this...

Grog

Banned
Got bored, did a little digging online :D

* Two helicopters operate 24 hours a day - seven days a week
* One helicopter is based at Carolinas Medical Center
* A second helicopter rotates between Grace Hospital in Burke County and Catawba EMS Base in Catawba County

This shows the helicopter service area.
http://www.carolinashealthcare.org/services/medcenter/RW_ServiceArea.pdf

http://www.carolinashealthcare.org/services/medcenter/Helicopters.cfm

Main page

http://www.carolinashealthcare.org/services/medcenter/

Grog

Banned
Forgot to add, Med Center Air refers to itself as med 1 & med 2 when talking on 155.325 quite often. I am two miles from Gaston Memorial Hospital, and in the direct flight-line back to CMC so I hear them every weekend at from work on my HT.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Trumpetman - Your "AirMed" (one word) reference may have been to one of the 2 (?) helicopters flying medical patients in the Augusta, Ga area. The ground-based critical care transport units use the Gold Cross name.

AirMed / Gold Cross covers several counties in Ga. and S.C., centered around the Augusta, Ga area (including the Augusta burn center, which is a common CCT destination). It would not surprise me that a crew was flying up to Pardee to pick up a burn patient.

Gold Cross / AirMed has a couple of conventional VHF repeaters that I can hear fairly well at home, just south of Charlotte. They also have talkgroups on the Palmetto TRS. I also occasionally catch them operating on some of the local EMS repeaters used by counties along the Ga. / S.C. border.

Med Trans (Greenville) recently added a med helicopter, based in Greenwood, S.C., that will offer some competition to the AirMed system.

Grog - I believe there is a "Med Center 3" designation, although it may be used for the helicopters that are put into temporary use when Med Center 1 or 2 is pulled for scheduled P.M.s. Some of the overhauls, such as every 5000 flight hours, are very extensive.

Like you, Grog, I live along a Med Center Air flightline (to Springs Memorial in Lancaster
). After 10 years here, I can often hear the unique sound and "feel" the thump-thump-thump of the twin engines well before I have a visual of the helicopter.

Grog

Banned
Yeah, I know I hear med 3 as well, was not sure if it was a spare or if they were running three full time. I also lived very close to the hospital in Lincoln County, and while they didn't have as many air transports as Gaston, they still had a few. Gaston seems to have a bunch every weekend, now that I also live in the same area as work I think I will setup a scanner for just them (well I should setup a scanner first :D )

trumpetman

Database Admin
Thanks guy, I'll do some research, that was some really quick responses. It's just not very productive when you google "Air Med", even when you add a location. Does anyone know where I can get the information on the database for all the previously mentioned Medevac choppers and dispatch and what not? Thanks again!

trumpetman

Database Admin
Oh wow, it seems laziness and stupidity both over came me in that last reply....go figure. Thanks grog! I'll put all of the frequencies in and see how much my little antenna can pick up!

Status
Not open for further replies.