Airport wx channel and Grundig

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainetrunk

Hi guys, brought this to you cause of it's main part, aviation. But, it is a mix of wx report and Grundig receiver, 450dlx. I am receiving an automated wx report on 10048, it is very strong. It is also muffled. Is that the analog scramble I've read about, or is it my 450dlx? Thx

navaidstech

Ya lost me cheif,

No wonder... DLX doesn't do sideband.
What AB5R is trying to say is that you need a radio capable of receiving single sideband transmissions (SSB). You have to have your radio switched to USB (Upper Sideband) and tune it to 10051 to pick up the VOLMET from New York or Gander.
You're trying to listen to it in AM mode and it just won't work because the AM demodulator needs a carrier to work against to demodulate the incoming signal and since USB and LSB transmissions have no carrier, therefore no demodulation and no audio.

Last edited:

ridgescan

Don't you have BFO on that radio? If so, actvate it to get SSB voice. I am certain you are getting New York Radio volmet on 10051kHz usb.

mainetrunk

Yeah i got bfo--Bad Freaking Opperator.. Otherwise nope, fm, am 1 dial, 4 selections on am alone. Mw, sw1, sw2, sw3. Choose between narrow band and wide. Switches on the side ---dx/local... Dx of course.All the silver buttons you see in the ad are crap. Timer a, b, alarm, q-tune, up,down.. ... Thats ok guys, I should be getting an alonco for this soon, thx.. Ron

ridgescan

Yeah i got bfo--Bad Freaking Opperator..
:D

not sure how the BFO works on your radio there but I am guessing if you hit BFO on, you can then tune left to right across the width of that garbled signal till voice comes in clear?.
Only experience with BFO I had here is on my '75 Patrolman-9, and that doesn't have PLL digital tuning. I just have to tweek the tuner till it comes in right.

SCPD

QRT
Looking at the specs, the Grundig 450dlx does not have a BFO or SSB capability.

It does have an IF output jack for possible future accessories.

ridgescan

Looking at the specs, the Grundig 450dlx does not have a BFO or SSB capability.

It does have an IF output jack for possible future accessories.
Thanks Ed-I shoulda looked it up myself...but..meh:D
in that case maybe MT ought to get an Alinco! Yeah yeah that's a GOOD idea-Alinco man!
Yo MT-go get you an Alinco-there's an Alinco in you future.
All indicators point to

Alinco:D j/k
MT when you finally get yourself the better rig, we'll help you dig up stuff on it.
We're all sick like that here.

mainetrunk

Thx guys, the good news is-I do have a ferret antenna that goes to a uniden15X. THAT is perfect reception for planes, it just don't do the sidebands. As far as Alinco goes, it's in the works of getting 1. . Gotta get past HOHO time 1st.$$... Dang, they made ALOT of freq types over the years.. While I'm here, I wish to verify what I read in the RR wiki, somewhere. 138139.875 A.M is the refueler channel. Heard yesterday, and 2 days before, heard on the Uniden.. Oh well, fly high.

Status
Not open for further replies.