Airspy HF Discovery ... Something new comes this way

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Availability, well pre-orders were officially announced on 5/23/2019. Pulled the trigger on one since my results with the Airspy HF+ have been so positive. Looking forward to getting this. Once it arrives and if it proves itself, my current Arispy HF+ will find its way into my DX kit that I am putting together. The author of SDR Console is quite impressed with this SDR.

Here is the link: Airspy HF+ Discovery - airspy.com

--
Mike

Attachments

• hfplus_discovery.png
    hfplus_discovery.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 10

NC1

While it looks promising with the write up and all, there is only so much that can be done with an SDR console. Salesmen always give us a "best case scenario", while the real world results can fall short. I'll remain skeptical until a reasonable amount of user reviews reveal a big advantage.

The average user achieving the 50 mile claim on a pair of bubble pack GMRS radios on a regular basis is never going to happen, but yet the manufacturer did it once so it can occasionally occur.

There is a chance it is what they say it is, but in the end the reality is that they are trying to sell you something.

NC1

Not really negative, just objective with a heavy dose of reality and experience thrown in. ;)

It could be better than the rest, but my car never regularly got the 34mpg average it said on the window sticker in spite of my somewhat light foot on the pedal and mostly 45 to 65mph driving.

As we know, YMMV is always a disclaimer on any and all claims we see advertised, basically because the average user will not obtain the same "as advertised" results and invariably falls short, sometimes VERY short.

Time will tell if the new improved widget makes the cut and is worth the time and money. I remain somewhat hopeful, but not that excited yet.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This caught my eye...
  • While the in-band performance of the Band-III tuner is excellent, it will require some filtering for very strong out of band signals at multiples of the tuned frequency.
This is a wall that most all low-cost SDRs have yet to crack. In some cases where there's a plethoria of TV, FM and/or BCB stations in the area, you might experience some overloading, depending greatly on your antenna and RF Environment. Filtering is available, as is a couple of passive preselectors. Keep this limitation in mind....Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'll chime in. There are a plethora of online Airspy HF+ setups. Of course we do not know what antennas they are using, but for the most part it appears [just by looking at S/N) that many are probably using some loop solution. At any rate, every one I've played with this past week has been a phenomenal setup -- providing better SNR and audio than any HF radio or receiver I've had the luxury of using (which is cheaper, sub $2000 radios and receivers).

If the Discovery can outshine the Airspy HF+, it'll be a winner.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
This caught my eye...
  • While the in-band performance of the Band-III tuner is excellent, it will require some filtering for very strong out of band signals at multiples of the tuned frequency.

Since I get back into the hobby over 6 years ago, I've alway had the PAR BCST-HPF filter in line from whatever loop is currently being used. Generally, it is switched out as I also have a kiwiSDR online and I do see quite a bit of usage of the MW capability of the kiwi. I also have the VHF-FM filter handy, but I've not needed it ... sofar.

--
Mike

Flatliner

I spotted that too.
In other words, it'll be the same crap as before with the HF+, having TETRA appear where ATC is meant to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.