Alabama Interoperable Radio System (was: Alabama First Responder Network)

W4AQX

Premium Subscriber
Everyone has their personal preference, but I have a Uniden BCD436HP. I'm not crazy about the scan rates, but generally it gets the job done. It will handle Phase II or Phase I. The mobile version is the BCD536HP. Once you receive your choice of radio, download the Sentinel software, which will contain the latest updates to the AFRN. Hoover PD/FD, Shelby County Sheriff's Office and Cahaba Valley Fire are all on AFRN. There are several sites throughout the county which should get you a great signal wherever you happen to be located.

jf911

ASST. CHIEF
One reason for Hoover pd being on the Jeff co simulcast tower is the PD is more the likely to roam on that tower, ie a car chase and such. The FD not so much. If FD needs to they have capabilities to swap to that tower or a mutual aid channel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

morganAL

I think what you guys in Shelby & Jefferson Counties are experiencing is units and talkgroups roaming on to an off of sites. The way the system is configured, if there are no units affiliated to a site with say TG 123 then traffic isn't broadcast because there are no units there to listen even though the traffic is being carried by other sites. No point tying up resources (channels) if no one there to listen. To make matters worse, the Time Domain Interference and LSM (CQPSK) from the Simulcast sites messes with scanners

auburndmbfan

Premium Subscriber
...Once you receive your choice of radio, download the Sentinel software, which will contain the latest updates to the AFRN. ...

Having the updates to the AFRN is not the same as programming the scanner though, right? Should I just order one with programming completed? or is the programming something i can realistically do myself and is the config file something folks are generally willing to share? I run an IT organization, so I'm fairly technical. That said, I am not nor have I ever been a programmer, and i don't want the thing to sit idle for a month while I try to figure it out just to save $100. I also don't want to get the scanner and then have to buy additional software to get it to work day one, although it appears that isn't really a concern with Uniden scanners.
I do however notice options to upgrade programming software components during purchase - specifically, DMR and ProVoice EDACS. are those things I'll ever need? they're pricey, at least at whatever site I happened to be looking at.

thanks!

W4AQX

Premium Subscriber
Being that you are in the IT profession, it should be no problem for you. Though I am a Technician Class Amateur Radio Operator, I had trouble initially with regard to grasping the new technology and procedures, namely because the technology is far different than anything I have ever used in the amateur spectrum. It took me a while to get the hang of what needed to be done, but after studying the operations manual and receiving a few pointers from several RR Forum members, I was finally able to put it all together. I didn't have to worry so much about programming my scanner as much as simply learning the new technology.

I downloaded the latest software update for the radio via the Sentinel software, and then transferred that information from my laptop to my scanner (Uniden BCD436HP) via the included cable. The software was free to download. Then, I created a Favorites List on the radio, which included only the system and the talkgroups within the system that I wanted to monitor. Then, I chose only the sites that I wanted to scan.

It's really been fun thus far. Just keep in mind that these new radios take scanning and programming to a whole new level. Everything you have ever learned previously about programming a scanner (analog) is pretty much useless. That being said, I really like the new radio since I've gotten used to it. For my personal preference, it was worth saving some money to learn what needed to be done. However, your preference may be to pay to have it programmed for you.

Regarding your question about whether to upgrade programming software components for DMR and ProVoice EDACS during the purchase, I chose not do do so, but to each his own. I had specifics in mind that are strictly related to what is currently going on in Shelby County, so the latter options were not on my wish list. If and when those become an issue for me, I will deal with it down the road. If you think you will have a need for those upgrades, a purchase on the front end could help you in the long run. There again, to each his own.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

auburndmbfan

Premium Subscriber
Definitely helpful, thanks so much! I think i'll go without purchasing the programming and figure it out myself. I like knowing how things work, so i think learning to program it myself is sage advice. I've pretty much decided on the BCD996P2. just need to muster the courage to drop $400 so soon after Christmas...

medic9351301

Banned
OK . A newer digital scanner is phase 1 and 2 capable. Right now for what you are interested in hearing a phase 1 scanner will work. Used phase 1 scanners are good. If you want to save a few bucks. Phase 2 is not going to come to this area anytime soon.

Telvue is a transmitter site.
Afrn is the name of the system. That has no bearing on the scanner.

Simulcast is a site that rebroadcast signals from all the system towers

If you look at the database.
The non simulcast sites are only transmitting from that tower.

Depending on your location in Shelby county you would have to find a site close to your area. A good site to start with would be the signal Mt. Followed by Pelham.

auburndmbfan

Premium Subscriber

Telvue is a transmitter site.
Afrn is the name of the system. That has no bearing on the scanner.

Simulcast is a site that rebroadcast signals from all the system towers

Depending on your location in Shelby county you would have to find a site close to your area. A good site to start with would be the signal Mt. Followed by Pelham.

ok, and just to be clear - when you say "a site", do you mean a physical location? A website? Is this effectively a channel? is this "site" something that I'll ultimately add as a favorite channel to scan? who owns these "sites"? do the different Public Services just rent out space on them, sort of like a cell tower? Or does Shelby County use one and Birmingham City use another?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm taking notes though!
FWIW, I live pretty close to the 280/119 intersection

BenA2013

Feed Provider
ok, and just to be clear - when you say "a site", do you mean a physical location? A website? Is this effectively a channel? is this "site" something that I'll ultimately add as a favorite channel to scan? who owns these "sites"? do the different Public Services just rent out space on them, sort of like a cell tower? Or does Shelby County use one and Birmingham City use another?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm taking notes though!
FWIW, I live pretty close to the 280/119 intersection

A site is a tower location, similar to repeater sites. Shelby county owns 6, Hoover owns 5, Birmingham, and Jefferson county own some. The sites are shared among radio users for the most part. I. e., a Shelby county radio can use Hoover, Birmingham, and Jefferson sites.

Since you live near 280/119, you'll most likely be listening to the Greystone site, but you'll be able to pick up several other sites.

And here I am still using two Pro-96s, one in the car and one at home, to monitor Birmingham and the Jefferson County Sheriff, along with one or two other departments. It works surprisingly well for me, even mobile. I figure I'll start saving up for a Phase 2 scanner but in the meantime I'll just use this until everything switches to Phase 2.

zedic

Has anyone had any luck programing any AFRN talk groups into OP25?

I'm trying to work on adding Opelika PD and I'm not having any luck.

medic9351301

Banned
Bob ,
Don't bust a gut trying to save for it.
I have been told jeffco may not even go phase 2 . From what I have been been told . The current system is basically maxed out on upgrades. A complete new system would have to be built in order for phase 2 to happen

Bob ,
Don't bust a gut trying to save for it.
I have been told jeffco may not even go phase 2 . From what I have been been told . The current system is basically maxed out on upgrades. A complete new system would have to be built in order for phase 2 to happen
I hope that's the case, it took me some trial and error but I finally managed to perfect using the Pro-96s and have great reception throughout my commute from Pinson to Homewood. They may be old but they work fine for my uses.

medic9351301

Banned
Something about the older ones are better I have 785 d with the digital card . This is a way better radio on vhf and UHF than my 996t and my 2 996 xt thev996 don't receive nothing unless it's a super strong signal. . Go figure

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I don't know if anyone else has made this kind of map, but I haven't been feeling great the past few days so, out of personal interest since I often visit AL, I made this map: AFRN Tower Sites - Google My Maps

It is a map of all AFRN sites with stand-alone sites in green, and simulcast sites in the other colors. I decided to share it in case it might come in handy for anyone. Most of the time, I was able to locate the exact tower site on satellite imagery, but in some places I couldn't find it so I just approximated. Let me know if there is anything I missed (because it's probably not perfect) and I'll fix it or anything I should add!

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I'm located in Panama City and last weekend and last night I was picking up Syid 46b RFSS 2 Site 14 TG 29200 it is in the clear on both side. I put that TG in the wiki section.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Quick question: Does the Huntsville Simulcast have three or four sites in it? The database notes says three, but looking at the licenses I see four sites: Rainbow Mountain, Madkin Mountain, Drake Mountain, and the Monte Sano site. Just curious which is correct :)