All Electronics is Going Out of Business!

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
All Electronics (www.allelectronics.com) in Van Nuys, CA is going out of business in August. All is an electronics supplier dealing mainly in misc. electronic parts and manufacturing overruns. They're one of the few Los Angeles area (also mail order) suppliers catering to the hobbyist market. They've been in business for decades, but seems they never fully recovered from the pandemic lockdown. They will be missed.

1687811668305.png

KD7RJC

Odd. Amateur and other forms of radio communications are by definition at a distance. I could see their ability to receive inventory and process orders having been impacted early on during COVID-19 in 2020, but I'm surprised that their business didn't return to something closer to normal once techniques to reduce the likelihood of spread person-to-person were devised.

I'd have expected there to have been an uptick in hobbies like radio, since those hobbies wouldn't have required going out of the house, or could have resorted in going out dispersed camping away from other family groups.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
...I'm surprised that their business didn't return to something closer to normal once techniques to reduce the likelihood of spread person-to-person were devised.
So am I.

The store had a rather diverse clientele. There were certainly the hams and electronic hobbyists, but it was also popular with "makers" and robotic enthusiasts. I've never dealt with them mail order, but there was always a lot of walk in traffic.

I sadly observed that after they reopened the walk in store after Covid, their operating hours slowly decreased. They used to be open 7 days per week, but gradually that was cut back to only weekday hours. I can't help but believe that was a bad idea, since a hot of the hobbyists visited the store on weekends.