• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

All Public Safety Encrypted by 2009 says DHS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikea7531 said:
Umm... April fools?? haha! :lol:
Except at the bottom it says: Date Entered: November 14, 2007.

But thanks for reminding me. Now I gotta keep that in mind any time I hear something almost unbelievable for the rest of the day...

No one's gonna get me........

Hopefully a moderator will LOCK this thread at midnight, so it doesn't continue beyond the
One day it was designed for. Probably got a lot of folks Hook-Line-n-Sinker, but not everyone was born yesterday

GreatLakes said:
Will this spell the end to our scanner hobby as we know it? :confused:

04/01/2008:

The Department of Homeland Stupidity Announced Today that All Public Safety Radio Systems are to be Encrypted by 2009!

The Encryption Process Outlined:
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/topics/technology/communication/voice-encryption.htm

ecps92 said:
Hopefully a moderator will LOCK this thread at midnight, so it doesn't continue beyond the One day it was designed for. Probably got a lot of folks Hook-Line-n-Sinker, but not everyone was born yesterday
WHAT? This was a joke??? But, I went ahead and sold all my scanners already - for next to nothing - just to cut my losses! Oh-no....

GreatLakes

"WHAT? This was a joke??? But, I went ahead and sold all my scanners already - for next to nothing - just to cut my losses! Oh-no...."

GreatLakes Bought mine, told me he was going to use them for MilAir.. He got me Good!!!

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I thought it was funny, I guess if everything that was public safety went encrypted, I'd have to go back to driving around and picking up cordless phones in the 900MHz analog........

k8mcn

Premium Subscriber
So, Tell the truth, GREAT LAKES, how many scanners did you purchase before the people remembered what day it was??????? We will be watching the classifieds for your "liquidation sale""

Good Joke-Great Lakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, of course, it's true... for Federal agencies. They're under a requirement to get digital, and encryption capable, at least. Actually, (suprised?) they're past the deadline in many cases, since they're required to go to apco-25 and its encryption, but many are still analog/DES, which is no longer acceptable. The usual, money to replace systems.

k8mcn said:
So, Tell the truth, GREAT LAKES, how many scanners did you purchase before the people remembered what day it was??????? We will be watching the classifieds for your "liquidation sale""

Good Joke-Great Lakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He's stealing the new radios out of the public safety vehicles in Motown. There's a 1,000,000 dollar reward for him. Dead or alive!!!
LOL!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.