• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

All Public Safety Encrypted by 2009 says DHS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
netfire said:
He's stealing the new radios out of the public safety vehicles in Motown. There's a 1,000,000 dollar reward for him. Dead or alive!!!
LOL!!!!!!

I didn't steal them! I bought them at The Gibraltar Trade Center flee market! Kwame read my post and turned in all their new radios because they didn't have encryption! Someone said he needed the money for his legal fund. :wink:

GreatLakes said:
Will this spell the end to our scanner hobby as we know it? :confused:

04/01/2008:

The Department of Homeland Stupidity Announced Today that All Public Safety Radio Systems are to be Encrypted by 2009!

The Encryption Process Outlined:
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/topics/technology/communication/voice-encryption.htm
However this was left out of the news release....
There is a govt coupon program for digital to analog conversion equipment if you receive signals off air.... details to follow per DHS.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
In order for everything to be encrypted, everything would have to be digital. And there are a lot of people (who use these systems) complaining (finally) about the negative aspects of digital. There's another open thread on the topic right now. So, even if this were true, I don't see it as something that will stick. Once people are killed over such an ignorant idea, something will have to change.

k8mcn

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
I didn't steal them! I bought them at The Gibraltar Trade Center flee market! Kwame read my post and turned in all their new radios because they didn't have encryption! Someone said he needed the money for his legal fund. :wink:
Kwame should have "encrypted" his text messages---Guess he is too young to learn the lessons "Tricky Dick Nixon" did about tapes( or gaps in them) ha ha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.