Amateur Radio Parity Act (HR 555) is FCC Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
And here is another fact to chew on: Unless you got some kind of grandfathered clause you do not own a damn single piece of land in this nation. If your paying property taxes you do not own that land. Period. Think you fully own it, stop paying for it every year then. Lets see how long it takes before your out on your butt and a bank or land bank of an municipality/county/state is selling/auctioning off what you claim is yours? DO you have a legal document that says you have the full mineral and water rights on this parcel that you think you own? Put that into your mind before you go into the other battles of so called property rights and aesthetics vs property values etc... There is no winning in this game, there is only being a legal step ahead. Read the paperwork and the microscopic legalese at the corners, bottom of pages, and underneath the main textual areas.... And then run out of ink signing in triplicate. Do not want to play the game by that teams rules on their home field? Find another field and team to play with. And lets not talk about if your bordering any Municipal/County/State, or Federal properties.. AKA so called Public Lands.... Two words to prove you do not own crap... Imminent Domain.

You're playing the semantics game.

KE0GXN

This is one of those deals, that you either fully support or you fully don't.

I see both sides of the argument. However, I chose to support the Parity Act or any act that seeks to help amateurs that live in HOAs, for better or worse.

Time will tell.

D

DaveNF2G

The current language is too vague to be of any real help to amateurs. It will still be a game of who can afford the better lawyer.

DJ11DLN

Caveat Emptor...

I don't really have a dog in this fight but I will say always, always, always read and understand the sales agreement. An attorney to explain it to you in layman's terms is a very cheap investment in this case. If you can't live with the terms, conditions, covenants, rules, etc then you need to keep looking. If you understand and agree with them, then expect to abide by them.

That said I really do not agree with HR555 for the same reasons that others have stated here. We have more than enough governmental intrusion into our lives as it is. IMHO, of course.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
It has become commonplace in the USA for people to make bad decisions and then ask to be bailed out.

Golay

Half hearted agree

I'm leaning with those who say that people should know what they are getting into before they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars. Read the fine print, etc.

But the flip side is this, and I don't know the answer:
Some people have to get away from the cold or pollen or whatever for health reasons. If someone wants or needs to move to Florida, Arizona, somewhere in a nice neighborhood with warmer climate, how hard is it to find a house that's not under an HOA?

I'm in Michigan, and I'll be here when I'm pushing up daisies. So I don't know that answer.

Last edited:

Fast1eddie

Hate to be a dumbass, but since HOA's are heavily intrusive, then why do people enter into a contract with them knowing of the restrictive oversight???

Happily divorced and renting. Good landlord who is also my attorney. He's ok with my small antenna farm on my deck, although I am slowly cleaning it up.

Now seeking a middle age sugar mamma with properties in Florida.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Hate to be a dumbass, but since HOA's are heavily intrusive, then why do people enter into a contract with them knowing of the restrictive oversight?
Because the houses that many people want to buy are in communities with HOAs.

BTW, don't equate HOAs with CC&Rs. A property may have CC&Rs attached to the deed even though it isn't in an HOA. For example, if I buy 20 acres of land out in the country and subdivide into 10 2-acre lots, I, as the subdividing owner, may attach CC&Rs to the deeds of the subdivided lots even though there is no HOA.

That said, the property in most areas governed by HOAs also have CC&Rs.

Good landlord who is also my attorney.
Your attorney has a conflict of interest.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
One situation I have not seen mentioned, what about the person who "discovers" radio, but lives on a property that is restricted? Are they supposed to move, due to a new hobby?

Sent using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
One situation I have not seen mentioned, what about the person who "discovers" radio, but lives on a property that is restricted? Are they supposed to move, due to a new hobby?

Sent using Tapatalk

Yep. The new hobby will not invalidate the contract.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber

Sent using Tapatalk

Only if that person can not enjoy the hobby and abide by the contract. If that person can us low profile and indoor etc gear, and still have fun, then more power to them. The issue is when a person decides he/she MUST have a 1000 foot gazillion watt station, with an full on Doppler Radar station, and an mini helipad for his/her drone airport....

And for the semantics comment: I live on properties that are from an land bank that got in siad land bank due to some genius failing to pay the property taxes.

KE0GXN

Sent using Tapatalk

Hence, one of reasons I support parity efforts. Many find the hobby way after making the decision on a where they are currently living.

But I digress, its easier for many to say that guy is just SOL....

ipfd320

Banned
I Was Trying to find the hr555 Reworded Order cant find it--but if Im Correct the New One that was just Shot Down was More for the CC&R and Hoa to more Enforcement---I Might be Wrong on this so Dont Rip Me Apart

I live in a HOA Community with a Few Nosy Neighbors Watching Our Every move--All I Want is to Put Up a Wire--I Dont need Fancy Towers and all that Other Crap---The HOA wont Budge as its a Management Company Running the Show here in Florida

It Would have been Nice for our Senator A-Hole Bill Nelson to Realize How Important Us Amateurs Operators are for His State when it Comes to Emergency Ops----I Would Love to See Something Give a Little Bit and as for People Saying thats what PRB-1 is For--You All Better Read it a Little Closer---Thats what Started this Mess to Begin With

1985 version-- https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...r-radio-service/prb-1-1985#block-menu-block-4

1999 version-- https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...r-radio-service/prb-1-1999#block-menu-block-4

2000 version-- https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...prb-1-2000-reconsideration#block-menu-block-4

2001 version-- https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...r-radio-service/prb-1-2001#block-menu-block-4

There has Been Nothing Since 2001 from the FCC

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are options. You just need to get creative. That might mean no store bought antennas, but as an amateur, being able and willing to build your own antenna should be achievable.

I had a co-worker that lived in a trailer park. Trailer park was -very- restrictive. He knew the rules and didn't expect the rules to change.
So, what he did was bought a 35 foot tall Harbor Freight flag pole, complete with Chinese made American flag for authenticity.
He talked to the park, said he really wanted to put up the flag pole and fly his new Chinese made Old Glory. Who'd deny him that, certainly not the park?

So up went his new flagpole.
Conveniently mounted on an insulated base.
With a planter box nearby with some fake flowers in it.
Inside the planter box was a remote tuner.
He carefully ran some wire around his space, snuck some along a fence. Grounded to his trailer frame, did a few other tricks.

He ran 80 meters AM for years that way, and no one every knew.

Similar careful work also got him on 2 meters from the roof of his trailer.

Learning how to work within the limitations is important. Expecting rules to be bent because someone finds a new hobby isn't realistic.

Not every ham needs a 100 foot tower with a beam on top.

D

DaveNF2G

It Would have been Nice for our Senator A-Hole Bill Nelson to Realize How Important Us Amateurs Operators are for His State when it Comes to Emergency Ops---

Not gonna happen as long as the real estate industry is so important to financing his campaigns.

D

DaveNF2G

People keep talking in extremes. The issue is not legal limit 200-foot towers and monstrous tribanders. It is the smaller antennas that most hams use routinely for basic communications. Not to mention the fact that, if you operate on multiple bands, then you need more than one antenna.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Another way of looking at it:

HOAs are concerned about aesthetics. An antenna setup may be a thing of beauty to a ham operator but an eyesore to a non-ham and most of the residents are non-hams.

Status
Not open for further replies.