Amateur Radio Repeater submissions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I haven't noticed too many submissions for amateur repeaters here in Texas. I see that Harris County is getting up to speed, but I expected the metro areas to have a lot of amateur repeater submissions this week. For those who weren't aware, when RR changed it's database format this past week, it also began accepting submissions for ALL active amateur radio repeaters (not Just ARES/RACES/Skywarn related ones anymore).

That being said, DBAs are looking for specifics with these submissions. If we expect this to be any sort of real resource, we need more than just output information. A standard format has been suggested of:

Output--Input--License--Type--Tone Out--Tone In--Alpha Tag--Description--Mode

That being said, we need a lot more information for these than the typical submission usually requires. Output /Input are fairly standard in amateur radio (though not always). The license would be nice, type can be resolved easily. The tone information is super important. Not all repeaters have an output tone, but 99% of them have input tones. Alpha Tag, Description, Mode and Tag can usually be resolved by the DBA.

Submissions for repeaters should be submitted to the county that the repeater resides in. Even if the repeater serves another county mostly (due to terrain or whatever), they should be submitted to the county they exist in, to prevent duplicates from appearing.

I know we have quite a few hams in our state's forum, so let's start populating the DB with amateur repeaters, so we can strive to become a better resource for radio operators.

Last edited by a moderator:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
John,

I started actively looking for repeater information as soon as Lindsay rolled out the change and have been grabbing them in TX on a regular basis. That said, I will agree that there seems to be a low quantity coming in from around the state. The Harris Co. stuff is all coming from one individual (thanks to him BTW) but there were a couple of others around the state.

I also edited your OP. I know what you were looking for, but we know they are Ham repeaters being submitted and the service tag is not importable any way, just would have to be stripped from any submissions that included them. :wink:

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Just had a look at the Harris County list.. the primary Saltgrass repeaters on 146.92 and 443.825 are off the air for an unknown period of time due to loss of site access. 444.725 (203.5 in) is being used as a temporary replacement.

You can also add these; I can personally verify that they are on the air:

• 145.27 / 123.0 in & out / W5PAS - This was transferred to the city of Pasadena's amateur group and is now on the air in deep south Pasadena. It is no longer linked to 443.6 but will eventually link to 145.29 and 444.275
  • 444.275 / 103.5 in & out / W5PAS - Pasadena, can link to 145.29
  • 53.11 / 141.3 in / WA5SIX - Channelview, same site as 443.6 but not linked
  • 29.64 / 203.5 in / WB5UGT - Downtown
  • 224.1 / CSQ / ?callsign? - Downtown, good coverage
  • 223.96 / CSQ / KA5QDG - Alvin
I might also add that both of the Pasadena repeaters survived Ike, and stayed on the air even when TxWARN failed.

nd5y

What is the policy on submitting closed repeaters or ones that don't want to be listed?
What is the policy on latitude/longitude coordinates?
Publishing exact location of some ham repeaters could lead to them losing site access or even equipment being stolen.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Tom, those are all valid concerns of course.

Obviously any repeater has the chance of getting listed here whether it is closed or not (meaning anyone who hears the repeater can submit it, and anyone with a scanner these days can find it). Now, how many other listings/resources do you know that list whether the repeater is closed or not? I don't know of any reliable source for that information. So why can't we (RR) be that source? If a repeater owner/licensee/trustee/club director would provide us (RR) with that info, I don't see why we can't add "Closed" in the description field. That way it satisfies all purposes- it is acknowledged and not hidden, and it is publicly displayed as a closed repeater (win, win, win). I don't think there should be anything preventing it from being listed here with minimal other info.

That being said, anyone who plans malicious intent from the RF side, already has the knowledge to figure out the information presented here. However, the location data can be a little more difficult to come by, and for that I can respect the wishes of not listing it's exact location (by callsign if licensed to the repeater address, or lat/long). I think that information could be excluded here, for this site's purposes.

This might be a deeper issue that should be left up to someone like Eric or Lindsay.

KD5WEK

Just a quick note here gentlemen. I am a ham in Texas as well and there is a great site out there that shows locations and approximate radius for repeaters. Please see Welcome to the Frontpage - k5ehx.net then google map repeaters. Beyond this simply zoom to a location, right click and select the radius you want, usually 30-100 miles from point of click, and it will return the repeaters within that area. The results are downloadable and I have used this many times when programming my HT. Good Luck !

Regards,

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I had never seen that site, thanks. I do see a lot of mistakes there also, locations, callsigns, radii and outdated repeater info. Not to mention, near a metro area, the range circles are a little overwhelming.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
What is the policy on submitting closed repeaters or ones that don't want to be listed?
What is the policy on latitude/longitude coordinates?
Publishing exact location of some ham repeaters could lead to them losing site access or even equipment being stolen.

Closed repeaters will be acknowledged as such when submitted. We will simply add "Closed" to the description field. Hams know what that means, and it doesn't really concern anyone else.

Lat/Long is supposed to be reliable, but when unknown defaults to the subcategories range (usually the county it resides in is considered the range).

It is still unclear whether we will subdue location data if asked. Honestly, I understand the concern, but anyone with the proper skill set could find the repeater. It isn't that hard to do.

I'm seeking clarification for the last point with the higher-ups...

N5AMS

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA7373KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

My suggestion on closed repeaters is when submitting information is not including the tones for them (even though you can find them by tone search) but just a thought

SCPD

QRT
I've slowly been submitting updates and Lou has slowly began to process some of them. Not having D-STAR myself is a pain as many repeaters are moving to D-STAR, TRBO and P25. And I am also in the process of Licensing a repeater (440) here in SW Fannin Co. I will probably NOT submit for Dallas Co. but have been working on Hunt, Grayson, Fannin, Cooke, Lamar, ect.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA7373KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

My suggestion on closed repeaters is when submitting information is not including the tones for them (even though you can find them by tone search) but just a thought
If someone submits the tones, we will put them in. Once again, we do not attempt to edit other's actions, just provide the information.

I've slowly been submitting updates and Lou has slowly began to process some of them. Not having D-STAR myself is a pain as many repeaters are moving to D-STAR, TRBO and P25. And I am also in the process of Licensing a repeater (440) here in SW Fannin Co. I will probably NOT submit for Dallas Co. but have been working on Hunt, Grayson, Fannin, Cooke, Lamar, ect.
I will admit that slowly seems to be the order for Ham submissions and updates, as I been pressed for time of late. But, then again, I am not one of the regional admins so I tend to only help out where needed or if I have 1st person knowledge of the subject. As for D-STAR, not only do I not have any myself, but I don't care for the whole concept and as a result I don't understand the terms. Someone submitted some D-STAR info for Harris Co., and I originally grabbed the ticket, then realized I didn't understand it and turned it loose. Another admin took it and updated it. It is a topic for a separate thread, but I am against D-STAR and TRBO on the ham bands on principle alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.