Amplified external speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

SigSauer229

I'm using a Uniden 296 and it's not loud enough in my car. I attempted to use a external speaker but still isn't quite loudenuf. Is there a amplified externa speaker available for this purpose? Help will be appreciated..
Bill

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Radio Shack used to have one and I used it with no issues. I don't know
if they are still available but it worked well and didn't drain the battery down
when it was in stand-by for a few days.

You can check their website to see if it's still available.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Bill and readers,

You may not need an amplified speaker, you may be wasting time and money battling acoustics and soundproofing. PLACEMENT is all important as well as using an efficient speaker tailored to voice frequencies, one made for professional radio communications.The sweet spot isn't always where you think it is so a little experimentation is in order. Obviously pointing it at you and away from passengers and obstructions is the rule of thumb so get a roll of duct tape and try, try again. Then if you at first succeed, that's what duct tape is for by golly, it's the universal redneck tool.

VT, just to comment, there is no such thing as "stand-by mode" unless it's a class A amplifier. I guess I don't have to explain the operating curves of class AB, B or class C amps to a ham with a 2X2 callsign. (;->)

n2ops

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
You could try the Radioshack DSP-40.

It is not the best DSP unit out there, but you get the amplified speaker with a power switch so you don't have to worry about draining the battery.

I have one and the noise reduction works decent for the money.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Banned
Hi Trauma and all,

Having the Icom 706Mk2G with DSP I have found that using noise reduction actually degrades the audio on an FM signal, impulse noise usually isn't a problem to begin with. I find it invaluable on HF in this noisy location however but like they say "your milage may vary".

Now here's a twist, a ham friend has his connected to the stereo speakers in the headrest, the rest of us should be so lucky to have that sort of bucket seat. Hmmm, maybe the rest of you guys could use that as a starting point for some of your own ideas for a novel approach. Oh, don't forget that duct tape, we have our own brand of rednecks in NJ only we call them Pineys.

JnglMassiv

Go big or go home!
nsn6054.jpg

Motorola NSN6054A 12 watt amplified speaker. Requires minor modification for use with scanners.
Hint: there're several on ebay right now.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
JnglMassiv

What is the mod?

I bought a box of those off ebay and have not cut the moto plugs off and rewired it yet.

Thanks

BTW I go big, If I can't hear my scanner, I flip the back seats down, crank it up and rip the knob off!

Now why would you need speakers in the the headrest?

punchii

Last edited:

K8PBX

Motorola NSN6054A 12 watt amplified speaker wiring

Regarding the wiring of a Motorola NSN6054A 12 watt amplified speaker...

From a post I made awhile back on a different forum:

7 wires are present on the DB-25 connector and hook up as follows:

Pin 2 ------ Black --- 12VDC -
Pin 3 ------ Brown -- 12VDC -
Pin 5 ------ Green -- 12VDC+
Pin 11 ---- Red ----- 12VDC+
Pin 20 ---- White --- Audio IN
Pin 21 ---- Blue ----- Audio IN
Pin 24 ---- Orange --12VDC+

The Motorola spec sheet/schematic confirms the presence of a current limiting resistor for the Squelch (Pin 5 Green), so 12VDC+ works fine. You could hook the green lead to switched power, which would turn the internal amplifier in the speaker on & off accordingly.

In it's designed use with the Convertacom, the vehicle unit provided a +DC voltage to the amplified speaker's green (squelch) lead so it would automatically turn the speaker amplifier on & off based on audio breaking squelch. So if you can find a +DC voltage in your radio that is present when squelch is broken, or perhaps only when the radio is on, (supplying same to the speaker's green lead) it'd be a power saver feature and the internal amp in the speaker wouldn't be on all the time.

kb2vxa

Banned
Hi again Trauma and all,

"Now why would you need speakers in the the headrest?"

It saves the expense of an ejection seat. Nice set of kickers, no wonder they call you TRAUMA. (;->)

DickH

JnglMassiv said:
Go big or go home!
nsn6054.jpg

Motorola NSN6054A 12 watt amplified speaker. Requires minor modification for use with scanners.
Hint: there're several on ebay right now.

Absolutely the best way to go. It's designed specifically for voice communications. If you crank up the volume it will blow you right out of the car!

flyingwolf

Old School
kb2vxa said:
It saves the expense of an ejection seat. Nice set of kickers,......... (;->)

Pssst, I'm here to pick a nit.

Them there ain't Kickers, those be some Rockford Fosgate Punch Series.

They do "Kick" pretty good, but I still like my Orion XTR12's (Liquid cooled), 8,000 watts, and a car seat.

Now that is one rocking Minivan.

I love the faces of the kids in thier ricers when we go grocery shopping on Friday night, they pull up thumping, We tell the kiddo to cover his ears, and give them one track from my test CD.

Full volume, 60Hz, 30 seconds, SPL registered at 169 with the hatch open, bit less with it closed.

I just love the look of shock.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
I love the faces of the kids in thier ricers when we go grocery shopping on Friday night, they pull up thumping, We tell the kiddo to cover his ears, and give them one track from my test CD.

That's funny.
rofl3.gif

Munchies for your bass.

Steve-K8PBX

Thanks, that will save me some time. I've had these for 6-8 months and my wife gives me crap every time she sees them.

baybum

I've been using a computer speaker, wired to 12 volts, and placed under the seat for 3 years.
Loud enoug to blast you out of the truck. And very cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.