• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Amplifier for my Mobile Setup

Sidebander

Hello to all the HF Radio Operators across the Globe. I would like to install a Mobile Amplifier in my Toyota Camry for my Cobra 29 LTD HF Radio. I would also be using either a Wilson 1000 or 5000 Antenna on the Vehicle.

Can anyone recommend a Source as to where I can learn about installing an amp. in a vehicle? Also, where might I obtain an amp.? What should the Power output in Watts be for a simple amplifier for a vehicle? I am not looking for anything to High Power. I would just like a little Boost in my Signal when transmitting so I can be heard via Skip Propagation on the HF Band.

Thanks in Advance everyone!

Great DX'ing to All, Always!

RFI-EMI-GUY

An RM Italy amp mounted inside the rear panel where a subwoofer normally goes is my option. A remote relay with switch up on the dash marked "defroster". Be sure to install a TVI filter or 11M bandpass so you don't talk to ATC or jetliners.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
+1 on the RM Italy amp. and filters. Make sure your 12v power feed wire is properly fused and heavy enough gauge to handle the current.
Be careful with antenna placement and SWR as modern vehicle electronics can be sensitive to strong RF fields.

Sidebander

+1 on the RM Italy amp. and filters. Make sure your 12v power feed wire is properly fused and heavy enough gauge to handle the current.
Be careful with antenna placement and SWR as modern vehicle electronics can be sensitive to strong RF fields.
Thanks for the info., my vehicle is a 2001 toyota camry le with around 217K miles. Would I connect an Amp's. positive lead directly to the car battery? If not, then where? What gauge wire should I be using?

slowmover

Yes to the battery for the posive, to frame/chassis for negative , and as above, SM says: " www.k0bg.com for reference on How To "

A harness made following those guidelines for the very long run to the BATT in a big truck and to observe no more than a 3% voltage drop at dead key.

Oversized, slightly, no-splices due to use of MBRP fuse; and 12V distribution at other end (five devices powered).

What’s needed in a personal vehicle isn’t so big, expensive or long. But observe best practice and it'll still look a bit like this.

One wants to do it but once. Keep in mind future additions or changes.

IMG_1836.jpeg

Sidebander

A harness made following those guidelines for the very long run to the BATT in a big truck and to observe no more than a 3% voltage drop at dead key.

Oversized, slightly, no-splices due to use of MBRP fuse; and 12V distribution at other end (five devices powered).

What’s needed in a personal vehicle isn’t so big, expensive or long. But observe best practice and it'll still look a bit like this.

One wants to do it but once. Keep in mind future additions or changes.

View attachment 146365

Thank You for this information.