Analog - Uniden vs GRE/Radio Shack. Feedback please

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6CFU

Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone,

A friend is staying with me this week and now wants a scanner (wonder where he got that idea). LOL.

He is looking for an analog base scanner and his budget is about $200.

He is considering the Radio Shack Pro 163 and Uniden BCT15x. Since I have never owned either of these scanners, I'd appreciate if anyone has any feedback on these - particularly if someone owns both so they can provide some feedback on the differences.

He's not that concerned about the price difference, as the difference is pretty small. The scanner will be used solely at his residence in Fontana, CA.

How do these two scanners stack up? From what I've read, I believe the Uniden is a better scanner overall. For someone who has never owned or programmed a scanner (he has listened to mine but that's the extent of his scanner exposure). Given that, which would probably be easiest for him to get accustomed to? Reception differences?

Thank you for any feedback!

N8IAA

Hi Everyone,

A friend is staying with me this week and now wants a scanner (wonder where he got that idea). LOL.

He is looking for an analog base scanner and his budget is about $200.

He is considering the Radio Shack Pro 163 and Uniden BCT15x. Since I have never owned either of these scanners, I'd appreciate if anyone has any feedback on these - particularly if someone owns both so they can provide some feedback on the differences.

He's not that concerned about the price difference, as the difference is pretty small. The scanner will be used solely at his residence in Fontana, CA.

How do these two scanners stack up? From what I've read, I believe the Uniden is a better scanner overall. For someone who has never owned or programmed a scanner (he has listened to mine but that's the extent of his scanner exposure). Given that, which would probably be easiest for him to get accustomed to? Reception differences?

Thank you for any feedback!

If I had it to do all over again, instead of the PSR-410, it would have been a 15X for my analog needs. More memory, and a better analog trunking scanner.
HTH,
Larry

nanZor

Since you are going to be the "go-to guy", I'd get whichever one is most similar to what you are running - and if you run the same software, or at least from the same programmer, you'll be able to help with any interface issues as well.

My preference would be for the Uniden for it's better front-end - is he going to want to use an external antenna, or just run from a back-of-set whip?

The 163 however, is old-school bank/channel setup, so that might be easier.

If he really gets into it, this won't be his last scanner, so I dunno'. :)

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I would definitely recommend the BCT15X.I have the BCT15 and the only stuff different from the BCT15 in the BCT15X is,that the BCT15X now has memory to 9000 channels (with up to 500 channels per trunked system), enhanced GPS compatibility (controls the scanning of groups of channels within systems), channel number tagging, Fire Tone-Out Search (to identify the tones used on fire paging dispatch channels, band scope, individual channel volume offset and priority ID scan for trunked systems.

KJ6CFU

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys for the feedback! He was sort of leaning toward the Uniden to begin with, and this will likely push him all the way in that direction. LOL

I'm using Freescan, so he'll likely use that as well. the version I'm using is kind of old. I assume the newer versions are still rock solid.

I believe he'll start off with a mag-mount antenna, mounted on a file cabinet for his antenna.

Any opinions on how well something like a Radio Shack discone works indoors? He wants to mount an outdoor antenna but the wind is very strong in his area. I believe I'll eventually be able to convince him to install something outdoors, but in the meantime...

Thanks guys!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys for the feedback! He was sort of leaning toward the Uniden to begin with, and this will likely push him all the way in that direction. LOL

I'm using Freescan, so he'll likely use that as well. the version I'm using is kind of old. I assume the newer versions are still rock solid.

I believe he'll start off with a mag-mount antenna, mounted on a file cabinet for his antenna.

Any opinions on how well something like a Radio Shack discone works indoors? He wants to mount an outdoor antenna but the wind is very strong in his area. I believe I'll eventually be able to convince him to install something outdoors, but in the meantime...

Thanks guys!

Any antenna indoors would perform less then a antenna outdoors.Where would the discone go in your friends house? Also I can tell you that it would be better to use that brand of antenna indoors then outdoors.

How strong is the wind in his area,how many mph? A good strong antenna for outdoors is the Diamond D-130J ,its made out of stainless steel and it receives from 25-1300mhz and can also transmit under 100 watts on 50, 144, 430, 900 and 1200 MHz ham bands.

KJ6CFU

Premium Subscriber
Any antenna indoors would perform less then a antenna outdoors.Where would the discone go in your friends house? Also I can tell you that it would be better to use that brand of antenna indoors then outdoors.

How strong is the wind in his area,how many mph? A good strong antenna for outdoors is the Diamond D-130J ,its made out of stainless steel and it receives from 25-1300mhz and can also transmit under 100 watts on 50, 144, 430, 900 and 1200 MHz ham bands.

Thanks for the feedback. At his place, an indoor antenna would likely go in a 2nd floor room, right by a window.

Fontana frequently gets high winds - earlier this year they had wind gusts that were 70 to 80 mph, which causes diesel trucks to turn over. It's enough that it it moved his storage shed by a few feet and destroyed his outdoor grill by tossing it against a wall.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback. At his place, an indoor antenna would likely go in a 2nd floor room, right by a window.

Fontana frequently gets high winds - earlier this year they had wind gusts that were 70 to 80 mph, which causes diesel trucks to turn over. It's enough that it it moved his storage shed by a few feet and destroyed his outdoor grill by tossing it against a wall.

Okay,hmmm,If the antenna is going right by a window on a 2nd floor that should do alright.Now what freqs is your friend mainly going to listen too?

Eng74

In Fontana should he should be able to pick up the San Bernardino 6/7, 8, and 9 systems, OCFA plus LACoFD. The stock antenna should work good for all of those. I use an RS 800 on my GRE PSR-500 and get full bars on all of them.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Likely mostly 800mhz and some in the 154mhz range

Okay,for a good outside antenna for your friend,it would be still be the Diamond D130J Discone antenna.

You could get it here: Diamond D-130J D-130NJ Discone Antenna

Also if your friend gets this antenna,make sure he properly tightens the elements and parts on it,and firmly attaches it to where ever he will attach it to.Doing that would make it windstand the high winds that he has where he lives more better.

Last edited:

nanZor

No matter which scanner he decides upon, he might want to do a test to see how it handles a broadband antenna, and the possibility of desense / overload before purchasing a wideband discone.

One quick test would be to temporarily install a wire version of the OCFD, which is extremely broadband, and see if there are any problems. If not, tear it down and put up the antenna of choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.