analog vs. digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

brudude

I know there has to be a place to find the info, but I must be passing it by. I want to purchase my first scanner radio. Where do I look to find out if the law/fire/emergency agencies in my area are still using analog or if they have switched to digital? Thanks in advance for your help!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I know there has to be a place to find the info, but I must be passing it by. I want to purchase my first scanner radio. Where do I look to find out if the law/fire/emergency agencies in my area are still using analog or if they have switched to digital? Thanks in advance for your help!

Check the database right here on RR, and find your state, county, city, and look in the "mode" column for the agencies you wish to monitor.

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

rapidcharger

An important warning however is that the database linked above usually shows old analog frequencies that are no longer in use anymore in addition to the new information. So if you see that, don't assume that it's what is being used. Look at the bottom of the page under "trunking systems in your county" and also look above the frequencies there is usually a solitary link that may something to the effect of "Your county Public Safety Network (YCWIN)". Click that. It also wouldn't hurt to ask people in the regional forum for your state if it's monitorable and any other specifics. The frequencies and details may be listed but that doesn't automatically mean you can listen to it with a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.