Premium Subscriber

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber

Grondoline

New Arundel dispatch system still down as 'adjustments' continue
By Andrea F. Siegel, The Baltimore Sun

Although county officials initially said they thought they'd have the dispatch system working again in a month, they have yet to set a new date for putting it back online.

Anne Arundel County Police: New Arundel dispatch system still down as 'adjustments' continue - baltimoresun.com

The article you linked to is about a year old, but coincidentally, here's one from today's Capital.

New IT director makes unplugged dispatch system 'high priority' - CapitalGazette.com: Government

Looks like the new county executivess has made some changes in department heads and they might get it going again.

troymail

Silent Key
It'll be interesting to see if the new head makes a difference on this. I'm sure it was directive from the new exec to look into the millions of dollars sitting there doing nothing. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the new chief is able to get the problems fixed.... Being in the field, I know if can be difficult to get people to "change" but I also know that many times the tools provided as "newer" or "better" don't always turn out that way. Of course, the vendor always says they are better but they have to in order to sell their product. Don't get me wrong - I believe there are some nice features in the new system ... but interfacing to the existing county systems and more importantly - to the users of the new system - is where things need to be addressed.

My understanding is that the CAD system is under the control of the Police Department and the Fire Department and others are just "users" of the system. Having said that, and knowing all the problems both the police and fire sides reported, even if the police get their issues resolved, the fire side is still going to see resistance (unless they are able to address all of the "kludges" they tried to make it work (believe me it was ugly).

If the County was going from manual and paper to the new system, it would be a cinch.... but that's not the case.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
It'll be interesting to see if the new head makes a difference on this. I'm sure it was directive from the new exec to look into the millions of dollars sitting there doing nothing. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the new chief is able to get the problems fixed.... Being in the field, I know if can be difficult to get people to "change" but I also know that many times the tools provided as "newer" or "better" don't always turn out that way. Of course, the vendor always says they are better but they have to in order to sell their product. Don't get me wrong - I believe there are some nice features in the new system ... but interfacing to the existing county systems and more importantly - to the users of the new system - is where things need to be addressed.

My understanding is that the CAD system is under the control of the Police Department and the Fire Department and others are just "users" of the system. Having said that, and knowing all the problems both the police and fire sides reported, even if the police get their issues resolved, the fire side is still going to see resistance (unless they are able to address all of the "kludges" they tried to make it work (believe me it was ugly).

If the County was going from manual and paper to the new system, it would be a cinch.... but that's not the case.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I guess it also depends on who is Chief, if they want to use the "New" Cad System also. We could be getting a new fire and police chief, who knows? If we get new chief’s, could we also see fire going to digital or police using more encryption (they use it a lot already)?

Interesting times ahead…

Last edited:

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
... Being in the field, I know if can be difficult to get people to "change" but I also know that many times the tools provided as "newer" or "better" don't always turn out that way. Of course, the vendor always says they are better but they have to in order to sell their product. Don't get me wrong - I believe there are some nice features in the new system ... but interfacing to the existing county systems and more importantly - to the users of the new system - is where things need to be addressed.

A lot of this has to do with setting expectations properly. I've been involved in both good and bad projects. On the good ones we listened to what they wanted and they were generally happy. On the bad ones the deal was struck by high muckety-mucks without regard to anybody below them.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Seems like everyday for the past week or two, police does a broadcast stating that all officers except supervisors have to log off. Any idea what's wrong?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Likely either sys patching or a sys reset due to some sort of repetitive error. We've had that with our OSSI software a few times- crashes and glitches days in a row that require everybody to log out for a reset.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
It seems that there are too many people on it at one time and people that don't need to be on it, need to log off.

It is basically everyday, sometimes multiple times during the day the request is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.