Anne Arundel County Radio System Upgrade

JayG1176

Some PD officers are getting the newer APX hand-helds replacing the XTS 5000's. Does anyone know if the accessories are compatible? (XTVA's, RSM's, A/C chargers, antennas, carry holders, etc.)

Alot of PD officers now have the new APX Radios. They have to get new chargers and carry holders. If there cars do not already have them they will be swapped out. Those items are provided to the officer. FD has also got all new radios. Almost all PD now have new radios. To my knowledge they had to trade in there old radio for the knew one is what my cop buddy said.

jac-3

We store such information in our wiki. We have a very specific category that is reserved for RID/UID (radio ID/Unit ID) information for Maryland here. You can use the articles found here as a model. We don't mandate any specific format.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Maryland_RID/UIDs

Just click on any of the article titles to see the text...Mike
Mike & Maus,
So, my first time editing a Wiki (I didn't have to "take over" I just had to contribute to it (and I will continue to try)).
I added what I've confirmed for AACOFD, and did some titling of the page so that there is a Table of Contents.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Mike & Maus,
So, my first time editing a Wiki (I didn't have to "take over" I just had to contribute to it (and I will continue to try)).
I added what I've confirmed for AACOFD, and did some titling of the page so that there is a Table of Contents.
When I wrote "take over," I really meant "resume editing." :) - It's been a while since anyone has maintained that list.

FireEM09

Feed Provider
The county released the transition report recently for the new administration and provided a few points regarding a new, combined 9-1-1 center and the ongoing new radio system project:
  • Recommendation 1: The County must take IMMEDIATE steps to rectify this by addressing pay, equity, hiring, and working conditions. Staffing in the 911 Center is DANGEROUSLY LOW at +35% below authorized strength.
  • Recommendation 2: Support agencies within the County must make a renewed effort toward INTERNAL customer service.
  • Recommendation 3: County should commence work on a combined 911 Center.
  • Recommendation 4: The County must re-evaluate and prioritize a collaborative, end user-inclusive technology program.
  • Recommendation 5: The County should complete the ongoing Radio upgrade project and monitor the field for future upgrades.
    • Radio Communications Systems:
    • The county is nearly a decade overdue for a replacement/upgrade of its radio communications system. Currently, a blanket contract has been awarded to provide the County with the up-to-date, advanced, interoperable system it requires. The current system has reached end-of-support from the manufacturer. The new system is slated to remedy coverage and capability gaps that leave public safety first responders with inadequate communications capabilities. This project is far behind schedule, full implementation (originally slated for 2020) not likely until late 2021 or 2022. The project includes replacement of mobile/portable radio hardware, 911-center console hardware, replacement of antenna stations and addition of new transmission antennas. Additionally, the County is in the process of adding vehicle-based radios to its police fleet. Although this is relatively standard equipment for large suburban police agencies, administrative red tape and costs have delayed implementation.
    • RECOMMENDATION: The County should continue with deliberate speed in replacing the radio systems. Prudence in ensuring that speed of deployment does not compromise reliability standards should be continued. Upon completion, the County should immediately begin long-term planning for future upgrades and needs, with regular assessments to make certain that such an important project does not fall so far behind again in the future.

AA County Transition Report Page
Transition | Anne Arundel County, MD

Subcommittee Reports
911 Technology
https://www.aacounty.org/department...safe/TransitionReport-Safe-911-Technology.pdf

911 Technology Supplement
https://www.aacounty.org/department...tionReport-Safe-911-Technology-Supplement.pdf

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It does seem like now is the time for a consolidated 911 center in a new facility, with dedicated technologists and system managers. And the CAD situation... smh.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
A new consolidated 911 center is a good idea but probably won't happen for a long time. The fire or police side don't have enough room to consolidate. They would have to build a whole new building somewhere. From what I heard it was hard already to increase the staffing on the fire side when they expanded.

Probably would be a good idea to build new larger more modern HQ's for Fire & Police. But it costs $$$ and the county won't want to do it.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
A new consolidated 911 center is a good idea but probably won't happen for a long time. The fire or police side don't have enough room to consolidate. They would have to build a whole new building somewhere. From what I heard it was hard already to increase the staffing on the fire side when they expanded.

Probably would be a good idea to build new larger more modern HQ's for Fire & Police. But it costs $$$ and the county won't want to do it.
We have a different county executive, so maybe that will change - he's already trying to get around tax caps for school funding....

Anyway, I was disturbed to read that they were still trying to get the flawed Tiburon CAD system to work. It's time to bury that system for good, and start over. Montgomery County went with a Motorola solution, and maybe it's time for AACo to go with a big name vendor who con be held responsible for interfacing with their own systems (rather than having vendors point fingers at each other.)

Last edited:

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm beginning to wonder if this is going to be a system with multiple simulcast cells. Have to dig down and look at frequency assignments.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I finally got around to analyzing the FCC data for the new system that is currently under construction. It had been previously disclosed that the system will have a total of 22 sites - 12 more than the current Motorola Type II system. I count 13 new sites, for a total of 23, although I suspect one of the Brooklyn Park sites may go away. The new sites are: Annapolis, Arnold, Arundel VFD, Brooklyn Park 895, Brooklyn Park Library, Crownsville, Davidsonville, Dunkirk, Edgewater, Friendship, Linthicum Heights, Piney Orchard, and Upper Marlboro. Licensing data indicates that all sites will support both P25 C4FM voice and data, and P25 H-DQPSK waveforms, which indicates Phase 2. The new site licenses support 12 discrete frequencies, which translates to a 22 talkpath TDMA system - however there are "left over" frequencies from the current system.

Last edited: