Another freescan download issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mds47588

Yes, I know that there is a "false positive" for a non-existent virus in the freescan software. I have read all over the inter webs til I am blue in the face on how to turn off the virus, firewall and smart screen on my Windows 10 laptop and have done just that. I have everything turned off that I am aware of, even made an exclusion for the setup file to no avail. There is obviously something I am missing but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

If anyone is able to point me further in the rite direction it will be most appreciated and then I will have further questions (most likely) programming my BCT15.

I used to have freescan on a previous laptop that suffered a fatal crash and didn't recall having any problems downloading it at the time and that was maybe three (???) years ago.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would greatly help if you would say which virus checker you are using....Mike

mds47588

The default Windows software...no third party added anti-virus software installed. Regardless of what I turn off I still receive the file download blocked by smart screen filter message

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
This is what I messaged on the freescan forums just this past week and I saw you posted there too-

As mentioned numerous times here and on radioreference it is a false positive.

In start menu, type the word defender in your assumed windows 10, open defender and then click on settings.
Turn off real time protection, then download - install. Then go to Settings again and turn defender back on.

If you wish to keep a copy of freescan installer make a file exception for defender at the settings window.
Scroll down to Exclusions, add an exclusion then navigate to where the program installer is.

mds47588

I did post it there origionally, but came back to here as I had done some positing here before and this site seems to get a lot more traffic (which it does). I had added the exclusion to no avail. Maybe I'm doing it wrong as I could be missing something. I called a friend who is much more versed in computers than I am and he was equally stumped.

If someone was close by, I'd make it worth their while to meet somewhere and point out what is going on here with my computer. I turn the Defender OFF, attempt to download and still get the same blocked message....

ChrisABQ

I did download it at the google site that you posted, as this is the only location for download at the moment. Have you tried ProScan to see if there is the same issue?

ProScan

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I downloaded on both the desktop and laptop both with windows 10 and the defender software, did what I said above, it did flag as a virus as mentioned, but when I added the exception and turned off the defender antivirus during the download and install, been no problem.
Just make sure PRIOR to download and during the install to turn off defender and then after the install, then turn defender back on.

mds47588

Again, I tried that but not sure as to what step I am missing, but I obviously must have skipped something...??? I followed the directions to a "T", got all the warning about disabling defender...etc, but no luck downloading.

Gonna have to be getting ready for work and maybe I will attempt this again overnight.

Thanx to all who replied.

mds47588

Had to go to settings, then advanced settings from the three dots at the upper right hand corner for the screen, and then lastly uncheck the smart screen filter....and VOILA! It worked. Finally!!!

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Sounds good. I tracked down what you did, your using the edge browser. Where I use chrome and didn't have to do that extra step, but good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.