Another newbie..started studying last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbryant76

Crazy, how a simple interest in scanning and listening to local public safety (which this site helped me get started a couple months back) and what not, has now spawned me into wanting to delve into amateur radio.

I downloaded the book "Fast Track to your Technician License" by Michael Burnette.

So far its making a lot of sense, but I have so much to learn. :)

Right now I don't think I have any real interest in trying to reach far across the country, (nor do I have an interest in erecting a big antenna), so at first I would focus on local areas only..maybe with a decent handheld (I haven't even remotely started looking at radios).

Looking forward to taking the journey and posting up my experiences along the way.

K7MEM

Welcome to ham radio. The initial license test is not that difficult. There are sample tests available on line at QRZ.com. When you think you are ready, take a few sample tests. The question pool is public knowledge so the tests contain selections from the actual question pool. Once you scoring 90% on the practice tests, go for it.

A handheld is a good way to start, but there is far more to ham radio than that. Even on the VHF/UHF bands it is possible, via linked repeaters, to talk across several states.

The initial license, Technician, also gives you some access to the lower frequencies. 10 Meters should be coming back to life, in the next few years. And if you feel the urge, you can learn Morse Code and use your privileges on 80, 40, and 15 Meters.

Going further, to General or Extra, provides you with expanded bandwidths and operating modes. Study material and sample tests are available for those classes too.

Unless you are going to be a big contester or certificate hunter, there is no need for huge amounts of power or large antennas. Just start out simple and build up slowly. There is a lot to learn so just take you time. And remember, this is just a hobby, so have fun.

Martin - K7MEM

kf5bti

K7MEM provided some good info here, the one thing I would add would be talk to some local hams about the repeaters in your area. Whomever is administering your test would likely be a good source of information about which repeaters in your area are commonly used and their range. If you are within 10 miles of the repeater you will likely be ok with a HT, any further than that and you may want to look at getting a mobile radio for the additional power. Either way I suggest investing a few extra dollars into getting a external antenna as the antenna that is included with many HT radios aren't very good. A decent external antenna can often be picked up for $20. Good luck on your test!

Chronic

With D-Star or System Fusion you can literally talk around the world from a hand held radio.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Crazy, how a simple interest in scanning and listening to local public safety (which this site helped me get started a couple months back) and what not, has now spawned me into wanting to delve into amateur radio.

That, in a nutshell, is a big part of how I got into ham radio. Welcome, to the incurable addiction!

K4EET

Chaplain
Welcome to studying for your first license. Remember, no question is too silly to ask so ask whenever you need to.

73 (Best Wishes in ham lingo), Dave, K4EET

P.S. If you tell us where you are in the country,one of us may be close enough to help you out. We call a person like that an Elmer.

KD8DVR

A tech license will give you a lifetime of fun. You have stuff such as packet radio, sstv (yes...works great on 2m FM) satellite communications. On and on.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Good luck on the exam and welcome to ham radio.

Just keep studying and doing the practice tests until you're confident that you can answer
whatever questions are on it.

Keep us informed of your progress.

You will enjoy it, I'm sure.

Russell

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

I downloaded the book "Fast Track to your Technician License" by Michael Burnette.

So far its making a lot of sense, but I have so much to learn. :)

Right now I don't think I have any real interest in trying to reach far across the country, (nor do I have an interest in erecting a big antenna), so at first I would focus on local areas only..maybe with a decent handheld (I haven't even remotely started looking at radios).

Looking forward to taking the journey and posting up my experiences along the way.
. Well today's the 16th, are you Ready yet? Its Not tough, you could be brotherhood by Dinner! :D. 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.