Another Pro-164 Trunking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowave15

Hey folks,
Forgive me for asking, while I've gone through post after post, I guess I'm still missing something here.

I picked up a Pro-164 on eBay and am working on programming it for a simple Motorola Type II Smartnet system. I've entered in each of the five frequencies listed on RR. One of the frequencies is the control as I hear the steady control noise and see the data on the screen with the system id and percentage.

I can hit scan and the unit will scan and pick up transmissions fine. But I don't think I'm following the trunked conversation. It seems to just be scanning conventionally. I get parts of transmissions. And as a follow up verification that I've got something wrong, I can check a live stream online of this police department and my scanner is not picking up the trunked chatter that the computer online will get.

If I don't lockout that control channel the scanner will just sit locked on that constant data noise. But I'm sure I need to leave that control channel in the loop so conversations can be followed.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dan

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think you already hit the nail on the head when you said that it appeared to be scanning conventionally. It would appear from your description that's exactly what's wrong. The system was programmed not as a trunk, but as a conventional bank.

Let's start with what system you are trying to hear. Let's see the URL in the database, and I have no doubt someone here can fix this quick

best regards....Mike

radiowave15

Mike,
Thanks for the very fast reply.

I want to eventually get into this radio several counties in Maryland, but for this first try I'm working with Calvert County, Maryland.

Thanks,
Dan

radiowave15

Mike,
Thanks for the fast reply.

I'm trying to pick up Calvert County Police here in Maryland. Eventually I'll enter into this radio several counties here in Maryland for all of the EMS and Fire as well. I'm just trying to get the trunking thing down first.

Thanks,
Dan

radiowave15

Figured it out

After a lot of poking around, reading the Easier to Read Pro manual here on RR, and some YouTube videos I figured it out.

I had the control channel locked out and the rig was not following the trunked conversation; it was just scanning conventionally. Each freq had to be "moded" to MO for Motorola and then when I was on the control freq I needed to hit F then T.

Awesome little scanner here. Well worth the $85 on eBay. I'm also pretty amazed that it picks up as much activity as it does in a basement rec room with the stubby duck antenna. I have some roof mounted amateur radio antennas and they don't do a whole lot better than the stock duck antenna. The roof antennas are not tuned for the 800Mhz band (they're 144Mhz or HF), but I still thought it would do much better.

Dan

DickH

After a lot of poking around, reading the Easier to Read Pro manual here on RR, ...

Amazing what you can find in a manual.
You need only the control channel freqs. for Motorola systems - usually 4 for large systems.

radiowave15

Amazing what you can find in a manual.
You need only the control channel freqs. for Motorola systems - usually 4 for large systems.

Sometimes it just takes a few (or 20) times reading the same thing over and over until it clicks. Lots of radio activity here tonight on a rainy and snowy evening.

And, yes, the Motorola system is delightful to program. My county as well as one or two nearby are also Motorola systems, however, a larger and much more active county to the south is EDACS; I guess that will take some more time to program.

Dan

DickH

... a larger and much more active county to the south is EDACS; I guess that will take some more time to program.

Dan

For EDACS you must enter every freq. and they must be in the exact channels per the LCN (Logical Channel Number). Some systems leave some channels empty. The LCN numbers are the small numbers just ahead of a freq. in the database.

radiowave15

For EDACS you must enter every freq. and they must be in the exact channels per the LCN (Logical Channel Number). Some systems leave some channels empty. The LCN numbers are the small numbers just ahead of a freq. in the database.

Thanks for the heads up. Very appreciated. Perhaps this evening I'll try to get the EDACS system in.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.