Not open for further replies.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I wonder how well it would stand up in
Heavy winds or snow and ice .
Anyone ?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
W6LVP seems to respond to emails re his antennas - at least he did for me...Mike

WD9GNG

One Friday evening I contacted Larry W6LVP and asked a question about the kind of coax that he would recommend for his Magnetic Loop antenna. I was surprised to get a response with technical information within an hour or so. With this kind of customer service I decided to go ahead and order one of his antennas later that evening. I actually received the antenna on Monday afternoon within a couple days.
I have extreme electrical noise that was S-8 most of the time on my Carolina Windom and made my radio almost unusable. I temporarily installed the Magnetic Loop antenna on a short 5 FT pole in the backyard. With the XYL as the null monitor at the radio I called her on my cell phone and rotated the antenna by hand and was able to get a sharp noise null of about S-1. Very tight null when rotating just a few degrees one way or the other. Went in the house and couldn’t believe the clear signals that were hidden by the previous high noise level. It reminded me of SWLing 50 years ago as a kid back in the good old days before the electrical noise environment turned so bad.
As I mentioned, the antenna arrived within a couple days and was of high quality construction and packed extremely well for shipment. I had read the previous reviews about Larry’s product quality and customer service and my experience was also very good!!
I am planning to mount the antenna on a Channel Master rotator one of these days to get the full effect of the excellent directionally of this Magnetic Loop antenna. I even read where Broadcast Band Listeners use this antenna to pick up and select between multiple stations on the exact same AM frequencies.
I highly recommend Larry W6LVP and his Magnetic Loop antenna to other Hams and SWL listeners. He responds personally to emails within a business day usually just an hour or two. What more could a customer ask for?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As the loop is rather small, the wind load would also be very small, so a light duty TV rotator would probably work just fine. This would be true if the loop were to be mounted on or near ground level (where I have seen many). If you were to put it up higher, you'd probably need a higher duty rotator just because it's exposed more to the elements.

Just by way of observation, there are some comments on various Facebook pages that folks are also experimenting with using a battery type power supply to reduce the possibility of junk from the AC. Other experiments are ongoing. I rarely see such experiments being reported using the Wellbrooks or Pixel loops.

The positive reviews continue - bottom line, if you're thinking about an active loop, think of this before either a Wellbrook or Pixel. You will save cash, and it seems to work really well..;.Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.