• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ANRITSU MT8212 CELL MASTER Better than S332 Analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddaniel

The latest listing is from testworld_inc who has one starting at $89.95 with all the options. The most important is option 21, which is the tracking generator. Forget any that just have one N-type connector, as it has no spectrum analyzer and is no better than a S331

Reactions: qc

prcguy

Thank you so much for posting this. I was able to get an Anritsu MT8212B in beautiful condition with options 19/21/25/27/28/31/33/34/42/62 and 63 in the Pelican case for $383 shipped. This thing is a really good spectrum analyzer from 10KHz to 4GHz, a single port antenna analyzer from 25MHz to 4GHz, a TDR, a two port scalar network analyzer from 25MHz to 3GHz, an RF power meter from -70dBm to 20dBm, an RF signal generator from 25MHz to 3GHz, it receives and demodulates FM, WBFM, AM and SSB (its a tunable receiver!) and a bunch of other stuff.

Basically for just a little more than the cost of a new POS MFJ-239 antenna analyzer you get about 90% of a communications service monitor and some microwave test equipment that probably cost in excess of $10k new. Now I'm off to tune up another UHF pass/notch duplexer with my new toy.

Thanks!

Heads Up - Many cellular providers are dumping their stock of used Anritsu MT8212 Cell Masters which are like the S332 antenna analyzer but often include a spectrum analyzer and tracking generator. Some are going for $300 to $700 Take a look on Ebay.

freddaniel

These are a great value, even at $700 each. To calibrate the antenna analyzer, use a Narda 757 attenuator of 20, 30, or 40 dB terminated at 50 ohms as the precision load. These attenuators are flat up to 12 GHz, and unterminated, they provide a return loss of half the attenuation value. The attenuator will also serve to test the calibration of the spectrum analyzer/tracking generator. The open and short are easy to fabricate.

prcguy

I already had HP shorts and opens plus some precision loads to 18GHz. Using a good attenuator with low values like 3dB or 6dB with a short or open on the end is good to check the return loss or SWR accuracy after cal looking for exactly twice the return loss value of the attenuator.

I now find the sweep time is a bit slow on the transmission test or tracking gen/spectrum analyzer mode for tuning a duplexer but it seems very accurate on the actual loss values it measures. Mine has a bunch of cell phone test modes that supposedly demodulate certain types of cell phone waveforms. That could be interesting if its a stand alone receiver/demodulator for those bands.

These are a great value, even at $700 each. To calibrate the antenna analyzer, use a Narda 757 attenuator of 20, 30, or 40 dB terminated at 50 ohms as the precision load. These attenuators are flat up to 12 GHz, and unterminated, they provide a return loss of half the attenuation value. The attenuator will also serve to test the calibration of the spectrum analyzer/tracking generator. The open and short are easy to fabricate.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Has any of you (I've been watching these for a long time now, and ran across this in here by happenstance) ever figured out anything about how those software / firmware features might be added? Clearly, a few need a board, but I am wondering if they took a page from motorola's flashport book...

prcguy

I'm not up on how Anritsu does it but many other mfrs make a unit with all features and needed hardware inside and you pay to enable those features. One good example is the HP/Agilent/Keysight FieldFox series. The basic unit only has a spectrum analyzer and maybe an antenna analyzer and you simply pay for a key code to punch into the unit to enable much more elaborate things like 2-port vector network analyzer or built in RF power meter, etc.

You usually cant extend the frequency range in the above example, so you can pay to get a bunch of features within the frequency range of the unit you originally bought. If you need a higher frequency unit you would have to buy a new one at that point.

If a person could figure out how to decode things and produce a key code to enable features, you could make a lot of new friends.

Has any of you (I've been watching these for a long time now, and ran across this in here by happenstance) ever figured out anything about how those software / firmware features might be added? Clearly, a few need a board, but I am wondering if they took a page from motorola's flashport book...

Status
Not open for further replies.