antenna analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but it is in "Chinglish" and it makes no reference to it's existence at all.

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Would a 50 ohm terminator (Philmore 971L 50 ohm BNC Terminator) work well as a dummy load for the surcom SA250 Antenna analyzer?

Prcguy mentioned it probably only puts out 30 - 50 milliwatts.

I can buy this locally right now. But only if it would be feasible.

I want to check the analyzers performance.

Kfred

would a Anritsu site master S331B-D3 work for building antenna's ? they are not currently calibrated. several are being dumped on epay. don't know anything about these. what accesories do they need?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't bother with an antenna analyzer for receive only antennas. Impedance and SWR aren't near as critical for receiving as they are for transmitting.

For instance a one inch difference in a VHF quarter wave antenna will make a very noticeable difference in the SWR, but when it comes to receiving, the difference in length will be next to meaningless.

I am a ham and do use an analyzer for my transceivers, but I find they tell me very little on receive only antennas. You won't damage a receiver with a mismatch like you could a transceiver.

Kfred

thank you for the reply. your information is accurate, but i would like some proof that an antenna I build or buy is actually resonant where it is supposed to be. and if not which direction to go, lengthen or shorten the elements. maybe be able to check the coax or balun if there is one.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
but i would like some proof that an antenna I build or buy is actually resonant where it is supposed to be

I am the same way. I have my transceivers with resonate antennas, but with my receive only antennas I also like to tune them if possible. This is especially true of random receive only loops I put up. An analyzer quickly gives me an idea where its strong points (and weak points) will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.