Antenna coax cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATTACKFF

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a good quality coax cable about 75 feet long. I am looking to monitor VHF low band and high band and UHF. I am using a Bearcat scanner and a Scantenna antenna. Any help as to what type and where I can find it at will be appriciated.

radiopro52

For 75 feet length, you'll want low loss coax especially for UHF. LMR400 is an excellent low loss cable. If it's too expensive, though, RG6 also works well. Whatever you do, don't get RG58.

ind224

not cheap frugal

I've bought both LMR and Heliax used with great results. Ebay as well as QTH.com are good sources. LMR 400 will take the big coax style PL259 and you can adapt to the BNC.

N connectors are are OK for military stuff (purists) and if you need to transmit high power but RS won't have them. JMO, they are a pain for casual scanners.

Paulsan

I bought my LMR400 from bizsyscon and then had a jumper cable made by Wireman. Had both in my hands in less than a week. You can find adapters for N connectors from many vendors.

ATTACKFF

Premium Subscriber
This LMR 400 coax, wil it work well with low band, hi band and UHF? Also is there different qualiy of cable depending on manufacturor or is it all pretty much the same.

radiopro52

ATTACKFF said:
This LMR 400 coax, wil it work well with low band, hi band and UHF? Also is there different qualiy of cable depending on manufacturor or is it all pretty much the same.
Yes. The less loss you have the better, especially with the high bands. If you're trying to pull in distant signals, low loss coax, like LMR400, is a must.

As for manufacturor, Times Microwave is the brand name I believe. There are some people selling Times Microwave LMR400 coax on Ebay for a good price. There are also some other sellers selling the same coax with a different brand, which I'm sure works just as well.

btritch

I had RG 6 I was using until recently..I could hear my local on 150-170 mhz fine but when it came to the neighboring county which uses 460 and 800 mhz I could barely hear them..Since I switched to LMR 400 I can hear 150-170, 450-460, and even 800-1200 GREAT! Yeah, I makes a HUGE difference...on ALL bands, Even low band I can hear now..

ATTACKFF

Premium Subscriber
Someone also suggested a LMR 600, anyone have any thoughts about that coax?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I have about 100 feet of waterproof LMR-400, the stuffs great. You hafta use that stuff.
Anyone use LMR-900 i believe the name is, the new stuff?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
ATTACKFF said:
Someone also suggested a LMR 600, anyone have any thoughts about that coax?

Larger, harder to handle, significantly more expensive, lower loss. It's all just a trade off. For a length of 75', the lower loss is not significant enough to outweigh the additional cost and difficulty in handling it.

ATTACKFF

Premium Subscriber
Hey I just got 75 ft of the LMR 400 off ebay with the connections I needed and weathergaurd on the outside connection for $85.00. Thanks to all who gave me advice, I just hope it improveds my reception.

af5rn

ATTACKFF said:
Hey I just got 75 ft of the LMR 400 off ebay with the connections I needed and weathergaurd on the outside connection for $85.00. Thanks to all who gave me advice, I just hope it improveds my reception.
Probably not going to improve it noticeably. 75 feet just isn't that far in coaxial loss terms. And most significant loss is above UHF, at 800mhz and above, which doesn't really affect you. And, of course, no matter what quality coax you use, you still are plugging into a cheap arse 300 ohm firecracker transformer at the television grade antenna, resulting in loss.

It won't hurt, but don't get your hopes up for major improvements. You'd be extremely lucky to notice the difference even on a service monitor. If you see major improvement, it's probably more likely that your old coax (or connectors) was simply faulty to begin with.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
btritch said:
I had RG 6 I was using until recently..I could hear my local on 150-170 mhz fine but when it came to the neighboring county which uses 460 and 800 mhz I could barely hear them..Since I switched to LMR 400 I can hear 150-170, 450-460, and even 800-1200 GREAT! Yeah, I makes a HUGE difference...on ALL bands, Even low band I can hear now..
Ok.. that is exactly my scenario... I am using the standard RG-6 that came with my ST-2... Looks like I'll be ordering that LMR-400 tonight.

Will I just need an adapter for the ST-2 for the connectors (N to F or BNC) or what? Sorry for the newbie question.

Last edited:

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.. I looked at my local Frys and they carry them for a couple of bucks.. I'll swing by and grab 2..

Is there any benefit to replacing the transformer that comes with the ST2? Just curious...

I ordered the LMR400 just a couple of minutes ago.. Looking forward to getting it...

Status
Not open for further replies.