Antenna / Coax Upgrade Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

synthetik

This is a long post so I appreciate anyone willing to take the time help :)

I'm fairly new at this and my first stab at creating a feedline and antenna set up for the new base station I certainly made some mistakes. I've learned a lot since then and have been researching like crazy. I'm considering an upgrade and would love more experienced hams opinions on if it will make a meaningful difference and is worth the money. For a little reference, this is an apartment set up where I can not mount anything permanently.

The whole set up is on an 18' painters pole zip tied in place at several points which is actually very stable even in high winds.

This is for UHF/VHF only.
Current SWR:
varies from about ~1.5 or 2.5:1, also goes up slightly with power increase so a sign something is off.

Current Setup:
Antenna: MFJ-1432 Mobile antenna, 2m/70cm, UHF/NMO, 5ft
Supposed gain from MFJ (I'm skeptical on this): 7/8 Wave 5.0dB Gain on 2m 5/8 Wave 7.6dB Gain on 70cm
Mount: Tram Stainless Steel So-239 to So-239 Antenna Mirror Mount (bolted to painters pole)
Ground plane kit: Harvest 1401 V/UHF Dual Band Ground Plane Converter Kit (likely not an exact match and causing some impedance miss match)
Feedline: 35' American made RG8U with UHF male on both ends
Manufactures line loss stats:
1.8dB @ 150MHz/1.22kW/65.4% E
3.3dB @ 450MHz/0.69kW/47.3% E

I'm thinking of switching to the following:
Antenna: Diamond Original X50NA (considered the 10' model but likely just too large for our small place).
Slightly lower gain but I trust Diamond's stats more.
Mount: 2 u bolts, comes with the antenna
Ground plane kit: built into the antenna and likely much better matched.
Feedline: 35' Times Microwave LMR-400 Cable Assembly, N-Male To Pl-259 (Uhf Male) Connectors, 35 Feet Long

My thoughts are, better manufacture antenna with pre-matched radials,
Higher quality lower loss coax with n connector for feedpoint ( I understand this is a lower loss at UHF frequencies and more weatherproof).

I'm guessing this would set me back about $250. Would it be a meaningful upgrade?

Thanks if you made it this far and 73

W5lz

Unless there's a significant difference in loss between two types of coax, there's no benefit in getting a bigger name coax. At 35 feet I serious doubt you will see -any- differences, significant or not.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, I agree. Unless there is something wrong with your existing coaxial cable, I doubt you'll notice any difference. LMR-400 is marginally better than name brand RG-8. I wouldn't waste money on it.

I think I said this in one of your earlier posts, but I think you have something wrong with your setup. Rather than throwing more money at it, take some time to find the issue and fix it.

This is for UHF/VHF only.
Current SWR:
varies from about ~1.5 or 2.5:1, also goes up slightly with power increase so a sign something is off.

Yes, I think you need to trouble shoot this. It's unlikely your SWR should change with increasing power for your setup. Usually this means there's an intermittent connection somewhere, corrosion, poorly installed connectors (don't assume that because you bought it that it's good). I'd also question your SWR meter.

I'd pull everything down and go through it carefully. Visualize all the connections, look for any discoloration, corrosion, pitting, any signs of water. What I usually see is that someone misunderstands the importance of properly waterproofing coaxial connectors. A wrap of electrical tape is NOT waterproofing. Goop you squirt into the connector won't protect the coax/connector interface.

I'd also take a close look at the coaxial connectors on the cable. If the weight of the cable has been pulling on it, then it's really easy to pull things apart.

Look for any breaks in the jacket, anywhere water can get in.

Take your antenna off the mount, look for signs of water intrusion on the NMO mount. Make 100% sure the center tab/pogo is making contact with the center of the NMO mount. Make sure everything is good and tight, including any set screws that hold the whip in place. Ideally disassemble as much of the antenna as you can. All electrical connections need to be clean and shiny.

Current Setup:
Antenna: MFJ-1432 Mobile antenna, 2m/70cm, UHF/NMO, 5ft
Supposed gain from MFJ (I'm skeptical on this): 7/8 Wave 5.0dB Gain on 2m 5/8 Wave 7.6dB Gain on 70cm
Mount: Tram Stainless Steel So-239 to So-239 Antenna Mirror Mount (bolted to painters pole)
Ground plane kit: Harvest 1401 V/UHF Dual Band Ground Plane Converter Kit (likely not an exact match and causing some impedance miss match)
Feedline: 35' American made RG8U with UHF male on both ends
1.8dB @ 150MHz/1.22kW/65.4% E
3.3dB @ 450MHz/0.69kW/47.3% E

Two things that raise a little red flag...
MFJ. Not the highest quality stuff. Often you'll hear it referred to as "Mighty Fine Junk".
I've never been impressed with anything from Tram/Browning. I've disassembled some of their connections and they were sloppy, to say the least. I'd really take a close look at the connector.

Ground plane….
As long as it's at least 1/4 wave length long radials on your lowest frequency (about 20 inches) you should be OK. Ground radials do not need to be tuned. Car roof tops are not cut to tune mobile antennas….

I'm thinking of switching to the following:
Antenna: Diamond Original X50NA (considered the 10' model but likely just too large for our small place).
Slightly lower gain but I trust Diamond's stats more.
Mount: 2 u bolts, comes with the antenna
Ground plane kit: built into the antenna and likely much better matched.
Feedline: 35' Times Microwave LMR-400 Cable Assembly, N-Male To Pl-259 (Uhf Male) Connectors, 35 Feet Long

We sometimes have an issue with new technicians at work. When something isn't working right, they'll be in a rush to close out the ticket. They blindly start swapping out parts with no rhyme or reason. They'll keep doing this until it starts working. They assume the last part they swapped out was the issue, toss it in the trash and put all the other stuff back on the shelf. Being in a rush to get it fixed might make the customer happy, but it costs a lot of money and sometimes bad parts get put back into stock.

So, kind of off on a tangent there, but what I'm trying to say is that you'll save a lot of money AND learn a lot more if you find the cause(s) of the issue with your set up and fix those.

On the other hand, if you have $250.00 burning a hole in your wallet, then by all means, go for it. But figure out what you are going to do with all that old stuff that may or may not work. You can toss it all in the trash and be done, or if you are like many amateurs, you'll want to reuse it sometime. Then you'll go through all this heartburn again trying to figure out what the issue is.

My thoughts are, better manufacture antenna with pre-matched radials,
Higher quality lower loss coax with n connector for feedpoint ( I understand this is a lower loss at UHF frequencies and more weatherproof).

A better manufacture antenna might still have the same issue if the original antenna wasn't the cause of the problems. Have you confirmed 100% that your SWR meter isn't at fault? Are you using the SWR meter correctly, calibrating it each time you change power levels or frequency?

As said above, the difference between 35 feet of decent RG-8 and LMR-400 is going to be minimal. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that without good test equipment, you'll probably not be able to tell the difference. Your ears will not be able to hear a .5dB difference in loss. You might notice it on very distant stations that are received a bit clearer, but for most stuff, you won't know.

N connectors are superior to UHF, but again, there' s a few issues with your approach;
Waterproofing… Yeah, N connectors have some sealing designed into them. But no one in the LMR industry would install an N connector outside without doing proper waterproofing. If you install an N connector and don't waterproof it properly, you'll very likely be going through all this in another year or 5. Had this happen at work. A contractor (also an amateur, he proudly made sure we were aware) installed some antennas. He did a crappy job. The LMR-600/connector was not installed correctly and his "waterproofing" consisted of a wrap of electrical tape. We caught it and fixed it before any damage was done. It was an N connector on LMR cable installed by a "professional". It failed.
Lower loss…. Again, like the coaxial cable, unlikely you'll hear the difference. More than the lower loss is that N connectors provide a proper 50Ω impedance through the connector. UHF connectors do not. This can become an issue at higher frequencies. 70cm band, unlikely you'll have an issue. There are a lot of UHF connectors used on UHF equipment and they work fine if they are installed correctly and properly waterproofed. Not an ideal connector, but I'd not blow money on replacing all your cable/antenna just to get the coveted N connectors. Changing connectors on their own isn't likely to fix the issue. Replacing poorly installed, damaged, pulled apart, or water/corrosion damaged connectors will fix things.

I'm guessing this would set me back about $250. Would it be a meaningful upgrade?

Again, I doubt it. Until you figure out what the issue is, you would just be spending money and not necessarily fixing anything.

Check your SWR meter with a known good one. Really. Don't trust any of your test equipment unless it's been properly checked out and calibrated. Rule #1, don't assume anything is "good" just because it worked last time, is new, or someone else said it was OK. A lot of people have pulled their hair out over troubles like this only to learn later that their test equipment way lying to them. I've been there, and sometimes you get a gut instinct about this stuff.

Check your jumper cables between the SWR meter and the radio, don't assume they are good.
Check all your coaxial cable for damage, water intrusion, cuts, sharply bent, crushed, etc. Check all 35 feet of it, inch by inch.
Check your coaxial connectors for proper installation. If you have a multimeter, check for continuity from end to end for both the center conductor and the outer shield. Also make sure the outer shield isn't shorted to the center pin anywhere. When you are checking, wiggle the hell out of all the connectors while you are doing it to find any intermittent connections or shorts.
Check the antenna mount. Nothing from Tram/Browning impresses me. Check for corrosion and broken connectors. Use the multimeter to make sure it's good all the way through.
Check the ground radials. Make sure everything is clean and tight.
Check the NMO mount, make sure it's not wet, corroded, or damaged in anyway.
Check the antenna base. Make 100% sure the antenna base is making full contact with the NMO mount.
Check the antenna whip. Make sure it's not loose, not corroded, not damaged.

If you get through all that and find nothing wrong, the SWR meter checks out, continuity/short circuit tests are all OK, then you need to start looking at how close your antenna is to the building. Try taking the entire setup out into a wide open space. Set it up and test again. Nearby metal, even coated windows, window screens, rain gutters, down spouts, any number of things can interfere with the antennas.

I'd hate to see you waste $250 bucks and still have the issue.

fyrfyter33

See if you can borrow [an MFJ antenna analyzer] to help you out. They cost $400 to buy. See if you can find another local ham that is willing to help troubleshoot your setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

synthetik

Thank you all, especially mmckenna for the really long and detailed response, you've helped me out on other threads as well and I'm very grateful. The helpful nature/comradery between hams is one of the things that makes this hobby so rewarding.

Sounds like the consensus is I should work with what I have more and not just try and throw money at the problem. I'll have to do some more testing and experimenting. I should have been more clear that I'm only using the SWR meter on the radio which I know are notoriously inaccurate and should be tested at the antenna feedpoint with the antenna up high away from obstructions, I don't (yet) have an SWR meter of my own.

On 2m my performance has actually been pretty good, signals from many repeaters are coming in s9+60 on some most are at least s9 (again I know built-in s meter is not the best measure of performance) 70cm is decent, I can hear and open up closer repeaters fairly well but signals rarely push s4-5 on the meter some don't even register but I can still hear them. Other than solving the SWR issue sounds like I should be happy with my performance for now.

My guess is some kind of impedance miss match due to the cobbled together set up and/or some moisture in the coax or issue with the connectors. I do have a cheap multimeter but don't know that much about it, is there a way I can use that to test the impedance of the antenna set up? I should be aiming for 50Ω across the board right?

One final question:
The ground plane kit came with the radials at 90 degrees, I'm getting mixed info in my searches if they should be angled down I understand this is the case with a 1/4 wave antenna but since this is a dual band and supposedly a 70cm 7/8 Wave and 2m 5/8 Wave they should be at 90 degrees from radiating element?

Thanks again all. 73

W5lz

There really isn't a specific angle for radials. It's whatever angle works best. About the only difference you'll see is a change in the antennas input impedance. It won't affect the shape of that antennas radiation pattern. Gonna help any? Beats me. Try it and see...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank you all, especially mmckenna for the really long and detailed response, you've helped me out on other threads as well and I'm very grateful.

Glad I could help, that's what we're here for. It was a long one, but thanks for reading it and taking it in the spirit in which it was intended.

I should have been more clear that I'm only using the SWR meter on the radio which I know are notoriously inaccurate and should be tested at the antenna feedpoint with the antenna up high away from obstructions, I don't (yet) have an SWR meter of my own.

I think that would be a good first step. A basic SWR meter that will cover 2 meters and 70 centimeters will come in handy throughout the hobby. Antenna analyzers are nice, but expensive. If you can afford one, it's a good toy to have, but for decades people have been using basic SWR meters with excellent results. Antenna analyzers can be good if you get into building your own antennas.

On 2m my performance has actually been pretty good, ….. Other than solving the SWR issue sounds like I should be happy with my performance for now.

If it's working and your built in SWR meter is showing it's good, then it sounds like it's doing what it needs to do. Be realistic about your coverage area. Line of sight is what you should expect, but keep in mind that the other stations, even the repeaters, can have crappy antennas, poorly installed, bad location, bad coaxial cable, etc.

My guess is some kind of impedance miss match due to the cobbled together set up and/or some moisture in the coax or issue with the connectors. I do have a cheap multimeter but don't know that much about it, is there a way I can use that to test the impedance of the antenna set up? I should be aiming for 50Ω across the board right?

Might be a impedance mismatch, but with the intermittent elevated SWR, I suspect it's more of a mechanical thing. Bad connection, too close to metal, etc.

A multimeter will read DC resistance in ohms. Impedance for RF systems is also measured in ohms, but your meter isn't going to tell you what you are looking for. If everything is working right, you will either see an "open" (as in no connection between the center pin and outer shield on your system) or a short (depends on the antenna coil design). Use the multimeter to check continuity only.

The ground plane kit came with the radials at 90 degrees, I'm getting mixed info in my searches if they should be angled down I understand this is the case with a 1/4 wave antenna but since this is a dual band and supposedly a 70cm 7/8 Wave and 2m 5/8 Wave they should be at 90 degrees from radiating element?

Sounds like it's a mobile antenna. It's going to be designed for sitting on the flat roof of a car. Adjusting the slope of the radials can impact SWR, but it's not likely what is causing your issues.

synthetik

I just stripped everything down and checked/cleaned it and tested for shorts. There was some very small amounts of water collected in the uhf connectors which probably means there is some water in the coax. My issue is I need this set up to be able to be put up / taken down with relative ease so I can't fully tape it up in the traditional way. I stupidly left it up in a few mild rainstorms with zero water protection, lesson learned.

If there is a creative way to waterproof that could (fairly) quickly be disassembled that would be great. I've at least put a drip loop in place, I should have at least done that from the start *facepalm* If I replace it I'll likely just bring it inside anytime a storm is coming through. I've attached a photo for reference.

One thing that is appealing about the Diamond x50na is that the mount shrouds the feedpoint which I assume would provide at least some protection from water intrusion along with a drip loop and bringing it in during a storm should be adequate for my needs.

Attachments

• Antenna.jpg
    Antenna.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 30

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, so water intrusion will do weird things. The intermittent SWR issues could certainly be a sign of that. Copper + water + oxygen is going to be a big issue, it might be fine at low power, but when you hit it with enough energy, it's going to show as a short and might go back to an open if enough power breaks the connection. On the telephone side of my job I have a special type of ohm meter that uses about 150 volts DC to find wet cable issues. Sort of like a MegOhm meter.

Also, looks like the weight of the coax is being supported solely by the connector which can lead to issues.

So, temporary set up can be done, but you'll need to bring it in out of the rain, and even high humidity, cold mornings, etc.
In this case, I'd switch to something with an N connector, as it'll stand up a bit better, but no guarantees. It's really going to rely on bringing it all in when rain/condensation is a risk.

The Diamond antenna -might- work a bit better, but like I said above, rain isn't the only concern. Humid weather, fog, anything that gets moisture into the void spaces where it cannot get out easily is going to be an issue.

What you can try is:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/pctel-maxrad-mtpm800-1158
or
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-mbcn-7531
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-mbc800-1650

You'll either need to replace the connector on the end of your coax, or get new coax. If there's signs of water in the existing PL-259 UHF connector, you should suspect that some of that water went down the coax. How far it traveled would be anyones guess.

Supporting the cable so it's not pulling on the antenna connection will be important, too.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
If the antenna has a matching coil the angle and size of the ground plane radials don't matter. At that point all they are doing is reducing common mode from running down the coax.

synthetik

Thanks again all. Sounds like I'll work with what I have for now and once I have the cash to burn go with my original plan and replace the coax/antenna but learn from my mistakes, put some water protections in place, take the weight off the connection point and take better care of the setup overall. 73

W5lz

If the antenna has a matching coil the angle and size of the ground plane radials don't matter. At that point all they are doing is reducing common mode from running down the coax.

Got some bad news for you, those radicals amount to the "other half" of that antenna. Remove them and you've just made some really -big- change in what was an antenna. A matching coil changes the antenna's input impedance close to 50 ohms, it does not become the "other half" of the antenna.

synthetik

One last question, how easy is it to remove self-sealing silicon tape once you wrap the connectors and coax? Will it peel off with some effort or does one need to cut it off? If it can be done with relative ease I may just wrap and then unwrap / re-do it when I need to pull the antenna down and chalk it up to a cost of doing business in an apartment.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
One last question, how easy is it to remove self-sealing silicon tape once you wrap the connectors and coax? Will it peel off with some effort or does one need to cut it off? If it can be done with relative ease I may just wrap and then unwrap / re-do it when I need to pull the antenna down and chalk it up to a cost of doing business in an apartment.

Most of it is self fusing, in that it'll become a solid piece of silicone. It'll need to be cut off each time and new sealant added when putting it back up.
One option might be to leave the coaxial cable attached to the antenna (and sealed) and just roll it up with the antenna.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

Wrap it with plumber’s teflon tape first. No gooey residue when you remove the outer layer.

prcguy

You don't need Teflon tape, just wrap with a good electrical tape under the gooey stuff and Scotch 33+ is my favorite. Weatherproofing connectors has come up a lot on RR lately and the professionals here usually all agree the method used for Andrew/Commscope Heliax connectors is the industry standard and that weatherproofing will probably outlive all of us. Here is a video showing the method and components used.

This is how the big boys do it and there is no reason not to do this at home for long term protection. There is also no reason to modify the procedure or add more complexity.

Wrap it with plumber’s teflon tape first. No gooey residue when you remove the outer layer.

synthetik

I recently found a bit of $ burning a hole in my wallet so I may have gone a little overkill. I ordered 40' feet of LMR 600 UHF male on one end, Type N on the other, and the X50NA. I plan to take all the precautions learned from this discussion to protect the investment. If the specs from MFJ and ABR are to be believed (which I do not), this will only yield me a 10% increase in efficiency on 70cm, however, I'm hoping it will solve the impedance miss match issue and problems from water in the coax (which I guess will only continue to get worse over time) and I trust the numbers from Diamond and Times Microwave more.

I'll also have a little wiggle room to get the antenna up another 4-5' or so in the future with a better mast. I know this cable is quite heavy so I intend to secure the drip loop to the mast to relieve tension on the connector. I also use the same antenna for my SDS100 scanner so efficiency up to 900MHz was a consideration as the X50NA is said to have decent wideband reception capabilities.

Does anyone know the minimum diameter of the drip loop w/o damaging the cable? This is the regular version, not the ultra flex.

W5lz

I've found that I haven't needed to seal/water proof exposed connectors in feed lines. Most of the time any connector has been at the feed point of the antenna, and most of those antennas have been dipoles. Then there were the "splices", two pl-259s and a double-female. As long as I kept it out of standing water, never had a problem there either. Just lucky? I very much doubt that! :)

prcguy

I would not attach LMR600 directly to antenna, always use a short and more flexible jumper like RG-214, RG-213, LMR240, etc. If you are ordering with connectors installed I think the best you can do is type N females on each end so you can make easy use of flexible jumpers.

If you climb any commercial tower or look at the equipment racks that feed them you will not see anything the size of LMR600 connected directly to antennas or equipment.

I recently found a bit of $ burning a hole in my wallet so I may have gone a little overkill. I ordered 40' feet of LMR 600 UHF male on one end, Type N on the other, and the X50NA. I plan to take all the precautions learned from this discussion to protect the investment. If the specs from MFJ and ABR are to be believed (which I do not), this will only yield me a 10% increase in efficiency on 70cm, however, I'm hoping it will solve the impedance miss match issue and problems from water in the coax (which I guess will only continue to get worse over time) and I trust the numbers from Diamond and Times Microwave more.

I'll also have a little wiggle room to get the antenna up another 4-5' or so in the future with a better mast. I know this cable is quite heavy so I intend to secure the drip loop to the mast to relieve tension on the connector. I also use the same antenna for my SDS100 scanner so efficiency up to 900MHz was a consideration as the X50NA is said to have decent wideband reception capabilities.

Does anyone know the minimum diameter of the drip loop w/o damaging the cable? This is the regular version, not the ultra flex.

Status
Not open for further replies.