Antenna / Coax Upgrade Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

synthetik

The saga continues. I tried to go with the Amazon seller again and they are a joke, never shipped the item, email via Amazon is broken and bounces back with an error and whenever I call them and get through (about 5 times now) they say the person who can help is 'in a meeting' and will call me back but never do.

As a PSA stay far far away from 'Industrial Scientific Deals' on Amazon and possibly Carolina Microwave Associates (not sure if they are the same company or the former is just reselling the latter's product. The worst online shopping experience of my life, either they are completely inept or the company is a scam.

I've accepted I'll just have to wait a bit longer and possibly pay a bit more to get a quality product. I was going to order from The Antenna Farm but then came across these atrocious reviews: The Antenna Farm Consumer Verified Ratings & Reviews

Cable Xperts seems ok but only have off-brand LMR600 clones (possibly ok).

Any other recommendations on a reputable place I can have custom LMR600 assemblies made?

Thanks all I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help.

prcguy

Just call Talley Communications, you can't get any more professional than this. Talley Inc.

They have many locations and I call the Santa Fe Springs, CA office directly for custom cables and I pick them up in person.

The saga continues. I tried to go with the Amazon seller again and they are a joke, never shipped the item, email via Amazon is broken and bounces back with an error and whenever I call them and get through (about 5 times now) they say the person who can help is 'in a meeting' and will call me back but never do.

As a PSA stay far far away from 'Industrial Scientific Deals' on Amazon and possibly Carolina Microwave Associates (not sure if they are the same company or the former is just reselling the latter's product. The worst online shopping experience of my life, either they are completely inept or the company is a scam.

I've accepted I'll just have to wait a bit longer and possibly pay a bit more to get a quality product. I was going to order from The Antenna Farm but then came across these atrocious reviews: The Antenna Farm Consumer Verified Ratings & Reviews

Cable Xperts seems ok but only have off-brand LMR600 clones (possibly ok).

Any other recommendations on a reputable place I can have custom LMR600 assemblies made?

Thanks all I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help.

Last edited:

synthetik

Thanks, I just gave them a ring, seems they deal more with larger companies and bulk purchases but they said they were willing to work with me for a single cable assembly and were very polite and professional. They will be emailing me a quote shortly. Thank you kindly for the recommendation!

synthetik

Dear god.The cable wrangling... o_O

Finally arrived (a week late after 2nd order). Couldn't resist setting it up even in the rain so I did a quick and dirty (but effective) set up silicon tape and all. I got the ultra flex version and those who said its difficult to work with are very correct especially in a small space, can't imagine the regular or DB version. Everyone can have a laugh at my expense trying to wrestle this cable around in the rain knocking things over in my apartment as I tried in vain to straighten out the loops and twists while the cable fought back like a massive rage filled anaconda.

Those who gave advice were right on, I eeked out some minor improvements on both 2m and (more so) 70cm but negligible compared to the bump I got from a good brand name antenna. SWR issues are fixed however 1-1.5 max across the bands (y). LMR600 definitely overkill for this situation.

Lessons learned for anyone reading this in the future in a similar situation (in my humble opinion): Get the best antenna you can afford at the start. Go with TM LMR400 or equivalent brand name, shortest run possible, PL259 radio end (unless your radio has N connectors) N male for the antenna feed point. Waterproof your connections even if it's temporary it was much easier to apply and remove the silicon tape than I expected. Bottom line, chasing minor gains in performance likely not worth the effort/headache unless you're a perfectionist.

I'll post some photos and more detailed before/after info once it stops raining and I can do a cleaner setup.

Thanks again all, 73

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Those who gave advice were right on, I eeked out some minor improvements on both 2m and (more so) 70cm but negligible compared to the bump I got from a good brand name antenna. SWR issues are fixed however 1-1.5 max across the bands (y). LMR600 definitely overkill for this situation.
…..
I'll post some photos and more detailed before/after info once it stops raining and I can do a cleaner setup.

Thanks again all, 73

Glad to hear it's all working.
Using good stuff does make a difference. While the LMR-600 was likely overkill, at least you'll never wonder if you did the right thing. You'll never go wrong using good components.

Status
Not open for further replies.