antenna coupler insead of antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc7vtr

Has anyone tried an antenna coupler like this http://universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/4534.html

I have an Explorer that I park in the garage so I'm limited in the height I can go above the car and still fit in the garage. I currently have a 13" or so Valor scanner mag mount that does fit but I'm intrigued with the possibilty of more stealth reusing the standard radio antenna.

I'm interested in listening to the Phoenix police and fire, DPS, standard VHF/UHF HAM freqs, etc.

Mozilla

FM antenna adapter

They usually are not the greatest preformers, but once in a while they shine. I tried one on a recent vehicle and it did ok on VHF and UHF, but was absolutely lousy on 800.
My other option ended up being replacing the vehicle antenna with the Austin and using the splitter and it worked great.
For the most part on these, however users have reported poor performance.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I used one for awhile. It worked pretty good, the downside was that I would hear a fluttering sound in the AM radio when the scanner was on. It was bad enough that I used one or the other.

jas0nr7272

I have low clearance issues as well and tried an am/fm antenna coupler myself. And I had the same fluttering sound when listening to AM and monitoring the low band highway patrol in my area. That was on a Chevy S-10. I switched to a Larson bracket with a NMO mount on the driver side front hood with a maxrad BMAXSCAN1000 antenna attached. Worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.