• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna for Anytone 868

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
If you want a compact antenna - https://powerwerx.com/tera-ant-54-compact-dual-band-antenna

If you want a full-length antenna - https://powerwerx.com/tera-ant50-dual-band-antenna

I use the ANT-54 on mine with no issues at all. These have thread protection all the way down the length of the center pin. This is a MAJOR consideration, as not all SMA-F antennas will fully protect the pin (and lead to all kinds of strange behavior due to RF ingress).

If you want a stubby for hotspot usage, this is also great - https://www.amazon.com/Retech-RHA-6...00DSEINAE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

W2SJW

Database Admin
It's not meant to be an improvement, it's made to take up less space.

I use the 868 as a backup to my 7550e on my hotspot, and my county public safety is all on VHF analog repeaters. It works perfectly for what it's intended for (basically, a nightstand radio & fairly unobtrusive to the eye with the smaller antenna).

wakeandsnow

Would a mag mount on the roof of my vehicle make a difference in reception and if so what should a guy look at?

W2SJW

Database Admin
There are 100x more available choices for a standard SMA, you just need to look around a bit on eBay and Amazon.

For the OP - yes, a mag mount on the roof will be heads-above the rubber duck in performance, but you also need an appropriate adapter. Don't cheap out on that part of the project.

wakeandsnow

There are 100x more available choices for a standard SMA, you just need to look around a bit on eBay and Amazon.

For the OP - yes, a mag mount on the roof will be heads-above the rubber duck in performance, but you also need an appropriate adapter. Don't cheap out on that part of the project.

any chance you can point me in the right direction as far as adapters and antenna go?

W2SJW

Database Admin
I can't be any help on the adapter, but my favorite antenna hands-down is the Diamond NR-770HA.

It doesn't require a ground plane at all, so would work pretty good on a large mag mount.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Caution - Be aware that the Anytone radio is likely to be much more susceptible to low-level or out-of-band interference when connected to an external antenna. You might want to borrow an antenna and try it before committing to a purchase.

- John AC4JK

Status
Not open for further replies.