antenna for handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

trauts14

what dedicated airband antennas are you all using on handhelds? i am not sure if i am better off getting a dedicated airband transceiver to RX, or try different antennas on my bcd436 and yaesu amateur radio.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
what dedicated airband antennas are you all using on handhelds? i am not sure if i am better off getting a dedicated airband transceiver to RX, or try different antennas on my bcd436 and yaesu amateur radio.
Diamond:
RH77CA (BNC connector)
SRH77CA (SMA Connector)

Works reasonably well for Commercial and Mil-Air Bands
Diamond RH77CA Amateur HT Antenna

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I've used the RH77CA on my 125AT, 396XT, and 436HP and have found it to be a fantastic antenna, not only for airband.

Bob1955

Have a comet tri band sma3 on my 436. Picks up air pretty good. Am currently researching dedicated receivers for air band though. Either Uniden 125AT, 330T, or spend the bucks on a Icom R30.
Comet Tri-Band HT Antennas SMA-3
Bearcatrp- A Bearcat BC125AT is great on aircraft band. Private message me for information buddy and I use a Diamond RH77CA antenna as a option. The supplied antenna is a waste, don't bother using it.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Bearcatrp- A Bearcat BC125AT is great on aircraft band. Private message me for information buddy and I use a Diamond RH77CA antenna as a option. The supplied antenna is a waste, don't bother using it.
Already purchased the Icom R30 so looking at a options for an indoor antenna. May get the Diamond R220-D until spring comes, the get a bigger discone.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Already purchased the Icom R30 so looking at a options for an indoor antenna. May get the Diamond R220-D until spring comes, the get a bigger discone.

I picked up one (D220-R) a few weeks ago. I'm using it on my AOR AR-DV1 and it's performing extremely well on VHF/UHF airbands sitting on a metal file cabinet in the corner of my office. It does not require a ground plane however. Take note of the lower elements having two different diameters. 3 are fatter than the other three. Install them staggered every other one. I found a great deal on a Browning 6" magnetic very heavy mount with the required SO239 coax connector with 17' of coax on it's base to match the PL259 connector on the bottom of the short mast supplied with the antenna.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Hate it when a online store does show back ordered until you purchase. Universal radio tells me 1 march now. I have an old floor lamp I’m going to attach it to. Hope to get it close to the ceiling. One I get a full discone up in spring, then will use the 220 for my camping trips. How are you liking your DV-1?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Hate it when a online store does show back ordered until you purchase. Universal radio tells me 1 march now. I have an old floor lamp I’m going to attach it to. Hope to get it close to the ceiling. One I get a full discone up in spring, then will use the 220 for my camping trips. How are you liking your DV-1?

Diamond takes FOREVER to ship back orders! It's not Universal Radio's fault. Try HRO:

Ham Radio Outlet Search Results

Bob1955

Diamond RH77CA,(Purchase it with SMA connector) don't use ANYTHING else! This antenna has been around since the 90's and is great all the way around on my Uniden Bearcat BC-125AT. Hope this helps you Trauts14!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I recently purchased the BXC125AT for airband monitoring, and have tried several antennas and settled on the Anteena which I previously posted about. Fantastic antenna for air and everything vhf/uhf. Telescopic with chokes, it performs way better than my Watson. Do a search on eBay for Anteena and you will find it. Under $20 I think I paid like $17.99 free shipping.

JD
kf4anc

Fast1eddie

Diamond, Comet, telescoping whip lowered for resonance in the 118 to 138 region. I am using a Comet fold over which is actually a dual band antenna for a 144/440 ht. I can lie the radio on it's back and move the whip horizontal.

Status
Not open for further replies.