Antenna for Jeep and GRE PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickBurke

I got a GRE PSR-500 scanner and am considering my antenna options for my 2005 Jeep Wrangler. I found this at Quadratec for mounting:
Quadratec Exclusive JW-TLM-L - Stainless Steel CB Antenna Mount for 76-06 Jeep® CJ & Wrangler - Rear Driver Mount - Quadratec

and have been looking through the options for antennae, but am not sure what will work or work best with the scanner and / or this mount. Anybody have any recommendation of what will work well with this scanner? Also, if there's anything out there that will work that includes a mount that will work as a bumper mount or similar to this one I'd love to see it.

By the same token, if you think the stock antenna will work as well as anything that would bumper mount, I'd love to hear that too!

Thanks all.

Mick

LtDoc

The mount. It appears to be a typical 'brake light' Jeep antenna mount, they've been around for quite some time. The biggy with them is how large is the antenna you want to mount with it. It definitely will not hold up a large'ish antenna without issues of some kind or other (flexing/bending).
And the antenna depends entirely on what frequencies/bands you want to cover. That's sort of difficult to do unless you want your Jeep to look like a metalic porcupine, you know? There's always some compromises with multiband antennas. The 'trick' is selecting the 'compromise' you can live with.
Not a very 'nice' answer is it...
- 'Doc

MickBurke

So it sounds like I need to get the antenna for the frequencies I listen to, rather than for the device (PSR-50)? I gtuess I can look at the ones I have programmed and go from there. I'll check and post them and see if that helps narrow it down. Thanks!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
You will probably want to weather-proof that connection. The UHF connector is not good on weather exposed areas.

If you are in an area that sees very little, then it might not make a big difference, to you.

engine3

Premium Subscriber
i also have a wrangler and have an issue with mounting an antenna
right now, i,m using a Larsen tri-band mag mount, mounted on the cowl between the windsheild and the hood..

i,m finding the reception poor at best..would a fender mount give better reception ?..using the hood as a ground plane ?

also if i went with a fender mount, would a nmo mount be better then the mag mount ?

swm77662

I made it, and we have more snow then rain here in Wyoming I have not had any problems with the connections, I check the connections just about every time I drive.

swm77662

We have a local group here in Cheyenne that does fox hunts on Friday nights and sometimes Saturday nights on Ch 7.

swm77662

I try and stay away from magnent mounts, My reception is great and it's bolted to the body.
I have had no issues with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.