Antenna Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacefrog922

Hello...I am new to the radio scene and found an old Radio Shack Pro 2049 scanner. I am not picking up anything really with it. I am using the screw in collapsible antenna that came with the unit. I would like to make an antenna and mount it outside assuming this will help. Any suggestions? Thanks!

DJ11DLN

First, welcome to Radio Reference. Lots of good info and great people here.

The 2049 is an older analog-only scanner that cannot decode and follow trunked systems. Where are you and what are you trying to hear? Though there is still some conventional/analog stuff around, more and more agencies are moving to digital trunked systems on 700/800 MHz, which your scanner also cannot receive. A little more info and maybe we can help, even if that help consists of, "if you want to hear anything you will need to get a newer scanner," LOL.

peacefrog922

Any recommendations on what scanner to get? I would like to hear local police, fire, etc and aviation as well.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to scanning. I've used a discone antenna for decades, it is wide band, omnidirectional antenna and works very well. Made by a number of different manufacturers, it can run from about 70 dollars upwards to a couple of hundred.

As for a scanner, if you are interested in analog comms only, check out the Bearcat BC125AT. Bought one recently, nothing not to like about it. You can also go to eham.net and look at the scanner reviews from users.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
peacefrog922 - I recommend waiting for Whistler to Announce its NEW Phase II Simulcast capable scanners, they both use True I/Q SDR technology for monitoring LMR Simulcast transmissions. the TRX-100 handheld and TRX-200 mobile should be available in Q1 2019. perhaps we will see it at CES 2019.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
peacefrog922 - I recommend waiting for Whistler to Announce its NEW Phase II Simulcast capable scanners, they both use True I/Q SDR technology for monitoring LMR Simulcast transmissions. the TRX-100 handheld and TRX-200 mobile should be available in Q1 2019. perhaps we will see it at CES 2019.

Pretty sure "True I/Q" is a Uniden trademarked name...but I could be wrong.

peacefrog922

I appreciate the info gentlemen! I was looking at the Uniden BCD325P2 handheld scanner....never owned anything more than the PRO 2049 but I am looking to upgrade without going crazy................any feedback would be most appreciated.........

Status
Not open for further replies.