Antenna/Home Mounts for Pro 106/Pro 79

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

I have two handheld scanners that I am using as my base scanners. One is a Pro-106 and the other is a Pro-79. The Pro-106 is mainly my trunking/some conventional but I am trying to set it up so that my Pro-106 will be all my trunking and the Pro-79 will be my conventional, at least when I am scanning at home. I currently have a rubber duckie antenna on the Pro-79 and a Diamond RH77CA antenna for my Pro-106. Should I keep the RH77CA on my Pro-106 or is there a better handheld antenna I can get for that? Do you reccommend anything for my Pro-79 as well or is the rubber duckie good enough for it? Maybe I could put the Diamond RH77CA on the Pro-79 and get a new antenna for my Pro-106?

Also, do you know whether Desk Mount for Two Portable Scanners is a good home setup desk mount if I have two handheld scanners which I will/am using as base scanners?

Thanks so much! :)

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
What frequency ranges are you working for your trunking?

What frequency ranges are your conventional frequencies in?

That makes all the difference...

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber

cfr301

Hey all,

I have two handheld scanners that I am using as my base scanners. One is a Pro-106 and the other is a Pro-79. The Pro-106 is mainly my trunking/some conventional but I am trying to set it up so that my Pro-106 will be all my trunking and the Pro-79 will be my conventional, at least when I am scanning at home. I currently have a rubber duckie antenna on the Pro-79 and a Diamond RH77CA antenna for my Pro-106. Should I keep the RH77CA on my Pro-106 or is there a better handheld antenna I can get for that? Do you reccommend anything for my Pro-79 as well or is the rubber duckie good enough for it? Maybe I could put the Diamond RH77CA on the Pro-79 and get a new antenna for my Pro-106?

Also, do you know whether Desk Mount for Two Portable Scanners is a good home setup desk mount if I have two handheld scanners which I will/am using as base scanners?

Thanks so much! :)

I have the Diamond on my Pro 106 it picks up EXCELLENT for both conventional and digital IMHO. Radio Shack makes a Rubber Duck thats been rated by several on this forum as great for 800MHz but it would have to do some mean tricks to get me to change from the Diamond.

Rick

SCPD

QRT
I have the 1 mobile mount fro scanner mast & it does great!!.. no worry aboutt falling over & you can leave all your cables connected & leave the scanner in its carrying case when it sitting in the mount also

SCPD

QRT
Now i would like to see for 1 mobile & 1 base scanner mount??... probably will sooner or later

BHinAZ

I am all over the place in conventional listening

Sounds like you need a general purpose multi band antenna. I just got an Austin Condor from Scanner Master (free shipping for December), and so far, so good.

The Radio Shack 800 mHz is one of the best for that band, but it does drop in performance on the lower bands when compared to the competition. I have one and consider it specialty antenna. It is $20 from RS, but may be cheaper from ebay. If you have multiple antennas, this should be in your collection.

I also have the Diamond SRH77CA and I have not found anything to beat it on UHF (450 mHz) and it does a very good job on VHF (150 mHz). However, it can not match the Radio Shack 800 mHz on that band. Up until now, it was my general purpose antenna despite that it is somewhat lacking on 800 frequencies. This is also a must have antenna for the enthusiast.

I am still evaluating the Austin Condor, but so far, it appears to be almost as good as the RS on 800 mHz, very close to the Diamond on UHF, and only slightly below the Diamond on VHF. It is as good as any of my other antennas on air band (130), except for an air specialty antenna that I have. It may not be best in class on any one specific band, but it is very close to leaders in those bands, thus it appears that it will be a good multi band antenna.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you need a general purpose multi band antenna. I just got an Austin Condor from Scanner Master (free shipping for December), and so far, so good.

The Radio Shack 800 mHz is one of the best for that band, but it does drop in performance on the lower bands when compared to the competition. I have one and consider it specialty antenna. It is $20 from RS, but may be cheaper from ebay. If you have multiple antennas, this should be in your collection.

I also have the Diamond SRH77CA and I have not found anything to beat it on UHF (450 mHz) and it does a very good job on VHF (150 mHz). However, it can not match the Radio Shack 800 mHz on that band. Up until now, it was my general purpose antenna despite that it is somewhat lacking on 800 frequencies. This is also a must have antenna for the enthusiast.

I am still evaluating the Austin Condor, but so far, it appears to be almost as good as the RS on 800 mHz, very close to the Diamond on UHF, and only slightly below the Diamond on VHF. It is as good as any of my other antennas on air band (130), except for an air specialty antenna that I have. It may not be best in class on any one specific band, but it is very close to leaders in those bands, thus it appears that it will be a good multi band antenna.

Thanks so much! I currently use the RH77CA antenna for my Pro-106 and it is AMAZING! Great reception for trunking!! On my Pro-79 scanner in my car, I have a RadioShack Mag Mount 20-032 and that seems to work pretty well! I will look into the 800MHz antenna!

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!!! :)

BHinAZ

I did some more comparisions between the Austin Condor and the Diamond SHR77CA, listening to an amateur repeater on about 443 mHz. The Diamond was noticably better. I guess this was to be expected since the Diamond was designed to be at it's best on UHF ham and the UHF specs for the Austin Condor are 450 - 512. I also compared at 460 mHz. The Diamond was still better, but the difference was not as great. If you listen mainly to UHF Ham, then the Austin Condor may not be the best choice.

I should also mention that an alterative to the Diamond is the CCSuper Gainer sold by C. Crane. It is also a Diamond and is the BNC Japan version of the SHR77CA. In theory, they should be the same, but I found the CCSuper Gainer to be slightly better in a 800 mHz comparision. I also noticed a slight difference in length. The Super Gainer is around $19.95 before shipping.

Last edited:

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info! I decided that I am going to use the RadioShack mag mount as my mobile antenna for my car - only thing is I want to know if that's okay to use as a "almost" permanent antenna. I would be leaving it on the roof of my car pretty much all the time. Since it's the roof, I am not too woried about scratches...

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
***Update***

Hey all,

I ended up getting the mount from ScannerMaster for two handheld scanners. I found a good place to put both my Pro-106 and my Pro-79 so I am going to make that my little "shack" if you will. So excited! :)

Thanks for all your help! Do you want to see pictures when I get it??

Status
Not open for further replies.