• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna Install 2018 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I just got a 2018 Toyota 4Runner and need to install 3-NMO antenna mounts on the roof with cable runs to the underdash or console area.

Considering the vehicle is loaded with side curtain air bags, I don't really want to install the mounts and run the cables myself.

Any recommendations for a reliable and competent shop in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles?

I can handle the install of the actual radios (2 transceivers and a scanner), but I am looking for the factory literature that shows where the wiring runs and where I can safely tap 12v for ignition/acc sens as well as any RFI mitigation issues to be aware of.

Thanks in advance.

lou9155

thats a nice vehicle..iv got a highlander and only have just enough space for a cup holder to put my HH....i cant imagine running that much radio stuff.....pics after install please

ladn

Premium Subscriber
thats a nice vehicle..iv got a highlander and only have just enough space for a cup holder to put my HH....i cant imagine running that much radio stuff.....pics after install please

I have the same number of radios in my 2001 4Runner. I (reluctantly) used mag antenna mounts because that vehicle has a moon roof. The radios installed fairly easily. The remote head 2m/4440 radio went on the console, forward of the shifter (with the radio box under the driver seat). The CB went below the dash to the right of the steering wheel, The handheld scanner was mounted on a cell phone mount affixed to the ash tray.

The biggest issue with the 2018 for the radios is that now there is an air bag below the dash. It looks like there will be adequate room somewhere on the console for the control head of the split mount radio and I'm still not sure about the scanner.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I've got a new model Highlander (without moon/sun roof) and drilled the holes and did some remote head installs up front. I'll post pics here when I get a moment.

What I did was pay $15 for 2 days of access to Toyota's Tech Info System. Look for the Standard tier, 2 day access for $15. Once there, you'll have access to the entire manuals in PDF form for body, engine, electrical etc. For 2 days I didn't sleep and I downloaded everything I could think of for my Highlander that I could possible ever use as a non-mechanic tweaking my vehicle. I focused on removal guides for the entire interior, headliners, NAV/Stereo wiring guide, entire electrical schematics and diagrams, ground points, airbag systems, etc. I reference the downloaded interior panel removal guides often when working inside. Tells you every clip location and type, etc. Also allowed me to route wires away from RFI sources, find ign sense etc.

I can drill an NMO into a new vehicle without hesitation (measured center 5 times haha) but I chickened out on removing the headliner (intensive process with how it's installed), so my two NMO mounts are front and back where I could access the coax from behind the (removed) dash light console, and in the back near the Sirius antenna and accessed by peeling back the tailgate weatherstripping and headliner edge down a hair enough to get an extendible hook in there and snag the coax.

Front coax routes straight to the front dash light console and then follows the windshield seam over to the A pillar. If you run your finger along the edge of the windshield and headliner you'll feel the space I'm talking about. I removed the A pillar cover and routed and secured the coax down behind and out of the way of the airbag. The rear coax goes back to the C pillar (no airbag) and down, then hidden behind body panels until finally revealing under my drivers seat. If I could get the headliner down and B pillar panels off, I'd do a third NMO to keep scanner, commercial, and ham separate but my ham is unfortunately secondary on a part 90 radio. Not sure I could get a 3rd radio up front anyway, stupid modern dashboards.

Airbags are scary unless you understand and respect them. Remove the negative on the battery before working near them. Never work around them blindly, you want to see the whole picture so you don't inadvertently block their path. Visualize the entire deployment path and keep your coax away from that path. The bag wants to inflate in a certain direction, AND any body panels in the way are designed to break away, so don't secure coax to any mechanism that is meant to break away, or would be in front of the bag deployment.

Good luck!

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I've got two NMO mounts in the roof on my 2016. (Shack photos) I ran the coax along the factory wiring harness, so that it isn't in the way of the curtain airbags.

cmdrwill

And most of the time you do not have to remove the headliner. Just the rubber strip at the top of the back door and you can fish the coax down there easily. Then down the back post.

ladn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the feedback.I also have a request in to Toyota to locate the radio installer literature.

Next comes the matter of installing the actual radios. The Icom 2730 should be easy since the radio chasis will go under a seat and the control head will (probably) go on the console ahead of of the shift lever and below the USB and 12v ports. The potential location of the 10M radio is another question entirely since both the driver and passenger side have air bags below the instrument panel. It's enormously frustrating that radios like the Anytone AT-6666 are not available in a split mount design.

I always power my radios directly from the battery and use a heavy duty relay to control the circuit. This lets me have the radios on with ignition sens, always off or always on. Setting this up is probably the least of the challenges, but accessing the lower dash switch plate (there are a couple of unused switch knock outs) is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.