Antenna issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecatohio

Got the pro-688 and Drive all over and recently installed an external antenna. In the middle of Columbus Ohio and not getting a thing! Now where's my issue. Had a antenna on my radio and had to put on my dash to receive signal. Have one on my car and works perfect for it..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

firecatohio

24b7f7635efde47244b36e3c78470e53.jpg

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Send us a photo of the topside of the antenna mounting bracket

Ron

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Got the pro-688 and Drive all over and recently installed an external antenna. In the middle of Columbus Ohio and not getting a thing! Now where's my issue. Had a antenna on my radio and had to put on my dash to receive signal. Have one on my car and works perfect for it..

So just to check my understanding, were you able to receive Columbus at all with the external antenna on the car? Does that same antenna work with other agencies?

For the last part, are you saying that the antenna on the car works while a rubber duck antenna on the scanner only gives a weak signal?

trp2525

...In the middle of Columbus Ohio and not getting a thing! Now where's my issue...

One thing that I immediately check if I have an antenna that is "not getting a thing" is to make sure there is not a short or a break in the coax. Put a continuity tester (meter) across the shield and the center conductor of your coax and make sure they are not shorted together. Also make sure that you DO have continuity of the center conductor of your coax from end-to-end. Your tests should include any coax adapters that you may be using at each end as they could also be the source of a short or a break in continuity of the center conductor.

firecatohio

So just to check my understanding, were you able to receive Columbus at all with the external antenna on the car? Does that same antenna work with other agencies?

For the last part, are you saying that the antenna on the car works while a rubber duck antenna on the scanner only gives a weak signal?
It works perfectly in the car. This setup just doesn't seem to work

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you have an "extra something" on the top side of the mounting bracket where the antenna fastens to the bracket. What is that?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
It works perfectly in the car. This setup just doesn't seem to work

N0ZQR asked for a pic of the top side of the antenna mount for a good reason. He's trying to figure out if something is shorting the center wire of the coax to ground which would render the antenna totally useless. Without seeing the top side of the mount, we're only guessing at the source of the problem. But those 3/8" mounts are not like an NMO where the center wire is protected all the way to the antenna.

Pic please.

n5ims

A suggestion or two for when you've resolved your signal issue.

1) Replace the UHF connector by the scanner with a BNC. Not only will you reduce loss (not enough to matter, but still) but you'll reduce the strain on the scanner's antenna connection. They're somewhat fragile and repairs aren't that easy for the typical user to repair. If you use the antenna for more than just scanning and need to keep the UHF connector on that end of the cable OK, but if not you'll save yourself grief by using the correct connector.

2) On a somewhat related note, get yourself one or two BNC Right Angle (or elbow) adapters (like this for example BNC Right Angle Adapter | BNC Male to BNC | Female Elbow). With one, you'll reduce the strain by a great deal while with two (forming a "U") you'll nearly eliminate it (unless your coax is very tight). Without them you will put lots of stress on the connection (especially with additional adapters like your existing UHF to BNC) since the pull from the coax is amplified by that long stretch of unbending metal. With one 90 degree adapter, the top of the scanner will help to reduce it by a large amount. With two in a "U" configuration, the strain is downward and helps the coax remain stationary behind the scanner so strain is nearly eliminated. As a side benefit, the elbows provide a swivel effect to further reduce strain when the coax or scanner moves around a bit while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.