• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Antenna Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

I am pondering this issue, What, in your opinion, would be the best length to make an antenna for the best reception for mobile installation?
Full wavelength, 1/2 wave, or 1/4 wave (this install would be for 460 MHz and 800 trunk frequencies)

zz0468

1/4 wave would be best, but that's a 1/4 wave at one band only. I've always had pretty decent luck using a 1/4 high band antenna (18") on all bands. Performance on low band is pretty marginal, but where i am, the signals I've wanted to listen to were strong enough that I didn't need to care.

prcguy

Only one of your three choices will match to 50ohm coax which is the 1/4 wave. The 1/2 wave and full wave would be very high impedance. A full wave vertical whip would also have a null at the horizon where you want the main lobe. As zz suggests, a 1/4 wave VHF antenna acts as a 3/4 wavelength antenna at UHF and will match ok to 50ohm coax however it will have a slight null at the horizon.
prcguy

N1BHH

A UHF quarter wave would work quite well, just a six inch spike would work nicely. It would work as a half wave in the 800 range and give you decent coverage.

When people say they want a quarter wave antenna, they need to specify for which band. You want UHF and 800 and what I suggest may be the best for you. I have used a quarter wave on VHF and had excellent UHF and 800 reception mounted on the roof of my van, which is the best place for any antenna.

The formula for a quarter wave is 2808/frequency in MHz. giving you length in inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.