Yaesu: Antenna mount question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

Hello

I have a 3/8's mount antenna on the back of my Ford F150 and Im wanting to use the same mount for my Yaesu ATS-120 Antenna. I know the Ata 120 is a so-239 mount and I was wondering if there is an adapter to change the 3/8's mount to a SO_239
So is there any such adapter?
Here is the mount I have now. i have looked at other adapters but not the ones I need.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41OeYiga2BL._SL1000_.jpg

kb0vwg
wqoi992

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So, the issue is the ATS-120 will want to see ground on the shield of the SO-239 connector. The 3/8x24 threaded stud won't provide that.

It would be easier to just install the proper mount. You could drill out the bracket so a SO-239 coupler/barrel connector would work, or you could purchase a new mount.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Some added stuff to chew on:

The ATS-120 gets power for the tuning through the coax, so it would require having both the center conductor and the shield provided by the mount. Since the 3/8x24 studs are only the center conductor, any adapter would need to pick up the shield/ground.
There are a lot of adapters that will go the opposite direction to what you need, like the mount you have now, but I've never seen any with a ground connection that will do what you want.

As I said above, just swap out the existing 3/8x24 with an SO-239 and call it done.

KB0VWG

Some added stuff to chew on:

The ATS-120 gets power for the tuning through the coax, so it would require having both the center conductor and the shield provided by the mount. Since the 3/8x24 studs are only the center conductor, any adapter would need to pick up the shield/ground.
There are a lot of adapters that will go the opposite direction to what you need, like the mount you have now, but I've never seen any with a ground connection that will do what you want.

As I said above, just swap out the existing 3/8x24 with an SO-239 and call it done.

I will do that and see how it goes if not then will get a new mount.
Thanks
kb0vwg

Status
Not open for further replies.