• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Yaesu: Antenna mount question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

Premium Subscriber
Hello

I have a 3/8's mount antenna on the back of my Ford F150 and Im wanting to use the same mount for my Yaesu ATS-120 Antenna. I know the Ata 120 is a so-239 mount and I was wondering if there is an adapter to change the 3/8's mount to a SO_239
So is there any such adapter?
Here is the mount I have now. i have looked at other adapters but not the ones I need.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41OeYiga2BL._SL1000_.jpg

kb0vwg
wqoi992

So, the issue is the ATS-120 will want to see ground on the shield of the SO-239 connector. The 3/8x24 threaded stud won't provide that.

It would be easier to just install the proper mount. You could drill out the bracket so a SO-239 coupler/barrel connector would work, or you could purchase a new mount.

Some added stuff to chew on:

The ATS-120 gets power for the tuning through the coax, so it would require having both the center conductor and the shield provided by the mount. Since the 3/8x24 studs are only the center conductor, any adapter would need to pick up the shield/ground.
There are a lot of adapters that will go the opposite direction to what you need, like the mount you have now, but I've never seen any with a ground connection that will do what you want.

As I said above, just swap out the existing 3/8x24 with an SO-239 and call it done.

KB0VWG

Premium Subscriber
Some added stuff to chew on:

The ATS-120 gets power for the tuning through the coax, so it would require having both the center conductor and the shield provided by the mount. Since the 3/8x24 studs are only the center conductor, any adapter would need to pick up the shield/ground.
There are a lot of adapters that will go the opposite direction to what you need, like the mount you have now, but I've never seen any with a ground connection that will do what you want.

As I said above, just swap out the existing 3/8x24 with an SO-239 and call it done.
I will do that and see how it goes if not then will get a new mount.
Thanks
kb0vwg

Status
Not open for further replies.