Antenna Mount Suggestions for 2016 Nissan Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2AL

Hi everyone!

I am looking for suggestions for an NMO truck bed antenna mount. I recently purchased a 2016 Nissan Frontier and I am looking to install my Yaesu FTM400 into my vehicle.

I would prefer not to drill any holes, and I think I could get by with a mount that clamps, possibly by screws. I wanted to ask this question to readers in hopes someone else has been in my shoes, and knows about what I am looking for.

I am open to suggestions and I look forward to your comments! 73!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Does your truck have stake pockets along the top of the bed sides?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A Breedlove pocket bracket mount should do the trick. Pick the one that would work for your vehicle.
https://www.breedlovemounts.com/stake-pocket-brackets.html

As for antennas, a Diamond NR770 has a DC ground structure and provides VHF/UHF coverage. It also works well enough on RX if you want to listen on frequencies that radio covers outside of the amateur bands. That antenna can also fold over. I have used one for the last six years.

N2AL

A Breedlove pocket bracket mount should do the trick. Pick the one that would work for your vehicle.

https://www.breedlovemounts.com/stake-pocket-brackets.html

As for antennas, a Diamond NR770 has a DC ground structure and provides VHF/UHF coverage. It also works well enough on RX if you want to listen on frequencies that radio covers outside of the amateur bands. That antenna can also fold over. I have used one for the last six years.

Sadly I don’t believe this will work. My truck has plastic covers over the tops of the truck bed. Let me try to attach a picture for reference.

Do you have any other suggestions?
bc93fa2ea5adde9e1addd33ff150ae5a.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Putting the antenna on the bed rail behind the cab is going to create a lot of issues. Reflected RF will be high if it's directly behind the cab. It'll also be directional to a certain degree. Moving it farther back on the bed, preferably as far as you can from the cab, will help. The ground plane under the antenna is going to suffer, too.

There is a really good reason why public safety vehicles have their antennas mounted on the roof. It's because it works, and works well. I know you don't like the idea of drilling a hole, but it really is the ideal solution, and if done right, will not be an issue.

Another less ideal option is to use the bracket off the front fender.

Given the choice between the bed rail and the front fender, I'd go with the front fender. At least the coax will be a bit shorter.
The standard hood mount bracket would be my choice.
Use a standard Larsen NMO mount, but go with the type that have the crimped cable entry. Slide some marine grade heat shrink over that to protect the cable, and pay close to waterproofing the underside. Since the NMO mounts are designed to have the cable inside the vehicle, you need to add the additional protection.
A dual band Larsen will work. NMO-2/70

If you plan on adding a tool box to the bed, one option is to get the "gull wing" lid that has the non-moving center piece. You can mount an NMO to that and it will raise the antenna a bit above the cab.

AK9R

Super Moderator
If you plan on adding a tool box to the bed, one option is to get the "gull wing" lid that has the non-moving center piece.
When I had my 2011 F-150, I installed a gull-wing tool box and installed NMO mounts on each lid. Worked fairly well and I could still get into parking garages.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
When I had my 2011 F-150, I installed a gull-wing tool box and installed NMO mounts on each lid. Worked fairly well and I could still get into parking garages.

Very first antenna that I ever installed (that wasn't a Radio Shack Cb or Scanner antenna) was a Larsen LM-150 on my truck toolbox connected to a Yaesu FT-2400. A neighbor gave me the antenna and I got the mount. LM mounts used to be popular, now they are harder to find.
Worked well for the setup, but glad I switched to roof mounts.

N2AL

Is there a mount that I can use on the rear of the cab, possibly a window mount or mounts to the truck bed at the cab? I realize the radiation pattern may not be the best but I cannot drill holes in the roof, so that limits my options.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Or, fabricate a mount that gets the antenna above the cab. If you used a half wave (ground independent) antenna, you could get away with just mounting it that way.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I've never used one of the third brake light mounts, but there are some things about them that bother me.

1. The weather proofing has to be 100% reliable. Pickup trucks already have occasional problems with water seeping past the gaskets on the OEM brake lights. And, the problem with water infiltration there is that you'll never see it. The water will run down the inside of the back wall of the truck cab. The Acari mount seems to be addressing this issue, but I'd be nervous about it.

2. Most third brake lights are held on with the equivalent of sheet metal screws going into a plastic insert. It's not a strong method of fastening and it doesn't have to be for the brake light. The Kaffenbarger mount and others like it put too much stress, in my opinion, on those screws. The Acari design does seem to address that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, definitely not ideal. But neither are magnetic mounts, bracket mounts, mounting directly behind the cab, etc.

This is one of the reasons why I drill my mounts. Never had one leak. Ever.

Tracker44

Hello, no matter what mount you you choose , if you try and keep the antenna at least 19 inches away from the cab it will help alot with Impediance, which in turn will help alot with SWR.
Or of course the rop of the roof would be certainly a great spot but that doesnt always work well for every one.
Take Care

N2AL

I don't see that they make one for your truck, but something like this might be a good option:

https://acariproducts.com

or

Buyers Drill-Free 3rd Brakelight Light Bar Mount

I've never used one of the third brake light mounts, but there are some things about them that bother me.

1. The weather proofing has to be 100% reliable. Pickup trucks already have occasional problems with water seeping past the gaskets on the OEM brake lights. And, the problem with water infiltration there is that you'll never see it. The water will run down the inside of the back wall of the truck cab. The Acari mount seems to be addressing this issue, but I'd be nervous about it.

2. Most third brake lights are held on with the equivalent of sheet metal screws going into a plastic insert. It's not a strong method of fastening and it doesn't have to be for the brake light. The Kaffenbarger mount and others like it put too much stress, in my opinion, on those screws. The Acari design does seem to address that.

I really like the brake light mount, just not the price hi hi! Thanks for the information on it and I plan to investigate further to see if I can purchase one for my pickup.

One concern I have is the weatherproofing. The last thing that I want is water inside the vehicle.

Aside from the post mount, does anyone have a solid idea for a truck bed mount? Someone mentioned placing it near the brake light, so I am wondering what type of mount, and the manufacturer, I would need.

Thanks and 73! All of everyone’s help is truly appreciated!

bjornepappa

How about a magnet mount in the center of the roof? That way you'll get a solution that avoids drilling holes, and you can place the antenna at the best place.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

sloop

Hi, I have a 2017 Nissan Frontier and I use a Diamond K412cnmo mount at the corner of the hood with a Hustler 5/8 wave ant. SWR 1.2 across band. Cable feeds into rubber grommet with rest of cables in fire wall. No problems noted, had a Nissan tech help in locating best place for antenna and feed line. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.