• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna on Headache Rack/Roll Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenkeeper

Got my new (replacement) truck. I’m looking at putting my antenna on top of the headache rack, or roll bar that I’m going to install by the end of the year. Other owners of the same rack/bar, have said that I can run either a magnet mount or NMO. If I reuse my 4ft Firestik, the tip will be 10’6”, definitely won’t be able to hit the drive-thrus. Debating on getting a 2’ Firestik, if I go NMO. Otherwise, I may get a K40.

Looking for suggestions.

prcguy

Antennas on roll bars never tune up right because the ground plane from the bar is very inadequate. This goes for CB through VHF antennas. A UHF antenna would probably match up ok.

Got my new (replacement) truck. I’m looking at putting my antenna on top of the headache rack, or roll bar that I’m going to install by the end of the year. Other owners of the same rack/bar, have said that I can run either a magnet mount or NMO. If I reuse my 4ft Firestik, the tip will be 10’6”, definitely won’t be able to hit the drive-thrus. Debating on getting a 2’ Firestik, if I go NMO. Otherwise, I may get a K40.

Looking for suggestions.

cmdrwill

Not enough groundplane for your CB antenna on a "headache rack".

You would be much better with a NMO27 on the roof.

lmrtek

The shorter the antenna, the worse the performance.
You would be far better off with a K40 or longer firestick
on the bed rail.

swen_out_west

Those are no where big enough to provide a proper ground plane at 27MHz.

You are right, but a little is better than nothing apparently. His system is comparable to being on a mag mount stuck on the roof. I actually run one on my Wilson 5000 mag mount and there is a significant increase.

I say that it's comparable to a mag mount, because if you do a regular mount to the roof of course that's the best way.

Ravenkeeper

I may just run with what I had on my previous truck. Either way, I'm looking at getting a "hard" tonneau cover, aluminum(?)/metal in the sections under the leather. I was hitting about 6 miles NW of Lancaster, as I was driving around.

My quest continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.