• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna suggestions for Unication G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6ML

I got the 8505241U11 off eBay. I can't say it really makes a significant difference - marginal signals on the stock stubby seem equally marginal with it.

How are you guys getting useful RSSI readings? The diagnostic screen seems useless to me - it's either "> -100" or -113 and "Out of range".

N6ML

Hmmm, my RSSI seems to read well, quick real time updating in 1dB steps.

Do you get values greater than -100 (e.g. like -80)? I think I read somewhere that anything above -100 is considered adequate, so not useful for diagnosing reception problems. It would be very useful for comparing
antennae, though :/

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
This is all great information. Our stubby is designed to give the best reception on a wearable device. Obviously, it can be improved. Our U3 antenna I much better but is cost prohibitive (GPS) and needs to be trimmed. We are working on longer antennas for our upcoming products that will fit the current G4/5.

NC3Z

Do you get values greater than -100 (e.g. like -80)? I think I read somewhere that anything above -100 is considered adequate, so not useful for diagnosing reception problems. It would be very useful for comparing
antennae, though :/

I get -100 and then <100, and of course -101 on down.

NC3Z

Well with all this antenna testing I have somehow managed to kill the stock stubby antenna. I have done nothing more than remove and replace the stock numerous times. Now it get zero signal, but the other antennas I have been testing work just fine so I doubt it is the G4's connector.

I have already contacted Ray's pager and they are looking into it. But kind of weird.

N6ML

Well with all this antenna testing I have somehow managed to kill the stock stubby antenna. I have done nothing more than remove and replace the stock numerous times. Now it get zero signal, but the other antennas I have been testing work just fine so I doubt it is the G4's connector.

I have already contacted Ray's pager and they are looking into it. But kind of weird.

Try screwing the stock stubby on all the way, then backing it off about half a turn. Does it come to life?

Mine that does after I've used a Motorola antenna (green base). I don't really understand why it would lose the connection when fully tightened... unless something is causing it to short? but I don't know what that would be. I've inspected the pin of the SMA connector under a magnifier and can't find any evidence of trauma. Whatever the issue is, so-far, it seems to resolve itself after a while (some minutes). It's quite strange....

N6ML

Did all those gyrations, no joy.

Do you have another radio to try the stubby on?

Keep us posted on the outcome. I'm worried that mine is going to fail outright some day too.....

hou30guy

Thats a easy fix, get something thats small enough to push that needle in the radio antenna hole to the left or right just a hair and back full signal with ur stock antenna

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

NC3Z

Thats a easy fix, get something thats small enough to push that needle in the radio antenna hole to the left or right just a hair and back full signal with ur stock antenna

No joy either, but also as noted about the stubby does not work on other radios either.

hou30guy

If u didnt move it enough to get signal backthen u didnt move it

Last edited:

NC3Z

Not comfortable with trying to bend the pin, should not have to on a brand new radio. Will wait for Ray to work out a replacement antenna.

NC3Z

On another note I ordered one of the 4" 7-800-GPS versions to test out. For $8 it's worth a go since some of you have made fun of my "big" antenna!

hou30guy

And that new stock antenna wont work either been there done that but ok, something with the aftermarket antennas then going back to stock does it, just a slight move and u back to full bars. Remember i told you so when the new antenna comes

Status
Not open for further replies.