• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna suggestions for Unication G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tp3244

I honestly find this thread to be weird/surprising. My stock G5 antenna works with nearly 100% copy almost anywhere in my county and there's near zero reason I would think to replace it with something else. There are some rather isolated places in my home (i.e. directly behind a steel door) that I've been able to see the (Harris P25 simulcast) system drop out but the vast majority of the time and placement this thing works flawlessly. Wonder if this just varies based on the service your county / system is providing to you. Also I'm not looking to monitor the system from a significant distance i.e. a county over so maybe that helps too.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Well with all this antenna testing I have somehow managed to kill the stock stubby antenna. I have done nothing more than remove and replace the stock numerous times. Now it get zero signal, but the other antennas I have been testing work just fine so I doubt it is the G4's connector.

I have already contacted Ray's pager and they are looking into it. But kind of weird.
Did you break the pin off on the stock antenna? Also aftermarket antennas vary, as their connectors may be longer, or shorter. You may have forced the radio's connection down to where the stock antenna pin no longer connects.

Last edited:

NC3Z

I have looked at both under magnification. Both connectors look intact and as normal. On the antenna I can see the gold center contact.

The radio SMA looks normal. But it may have been possible the other antennas pushed the inside down?

If anyone can measure the distance from the top of the connector down to the teflon spacer. I took a dial caliper and measured right at 0.25"

NC3Z

I honestly find this thread to be weird/surprising. My stock G5 antenna works with nearly 100% copy almost anywhere in my county.

Thinking back to why I started testing other antennas, the stock antenna may have been bad from the start and just got worse. As I noted I had at least a 15dB improvement per the RSSI meter, that is a lot of difference.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
My XTS and APX radios with their stubby antennas are all range and signal comparable with my G5 with its factory stubby. I’d check the pin on the G5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC3Z

With a dial caliper I did measurement checks and the pin is at the proper depth. Ray's Pager is getting me another antenna, he said they have seen some issues with the stock antenna.

troymail

Silent Key
I honestly find this thread to be weird/surprising. My stock G5 antenna works with nearly 100% copy almost anywhere in my county and there's near zero reason I would think to replace it with something else. There are some rather isolated places in my home (i.e. directly behind a steel door) that I've been able to see the (Harris P25 simulcast) system drop out but the vast majority of the time and placement this thing works flawlessly. Wonder if this just varies based on the service your county / system is providing to you. Also I'm not looking to monitor the system from a significant distance i.e. a county over so maybe that helps too.

I agree that the stock stubby antenna generally works just fine (and is prefered if wearing the unit on your belt) within the area of coverage for most simulcast systems... but there are always exceptions.

I myself initially started trying other antennas (the RS 800, Moto, etc.) to "extend" my reception to systems outside my local area where I lived in Maryland. The Moto was a bit better than the stock stubby and the RS 800 did even better than the Moto. With the RS 800, I could receive systems from Harford County MD to Fairfax VA from inside my house.

When driving and monitoring a statewide system, I usually switch to the stubby. In that situation, you don't (most times) want a "better" antenna the causes the radio to stick to a distant site when you've passed others that are closer along the route.

Living here on the southeastern coast on North Carolina, I pretty much must use something better than the stock stubby to receive the two local NC VIPER (non-simulcast) sites which are only 7-8 miles from me.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
OK All

Got an antenna off Ebay - cheap Motorola type but it doesn't screw on deep enough to make contact. I will have to trim quite a bit of the base to get it to connect fully.

WHAT IS AN ANTENNA - That I DON'T HAVE to Trim for my G4 ?? Besides stock stubby.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
There are numerous threads regarding antenna selection for the G4/G5 series. But before you search and purchase let me just give my .02:

Most factory Motorola antennas will require you to trim the bottom in order to get a proper connection. Because of this, I have seen the pin forced down requiring a trip back to Unication to repair.

The Unication factory antenna is literally on par with my factory stubby antenna on my several thousand dollar APX portable. As a matter of fact, both radios will go out of range at the same time when I drive outside my County’s coverage area.

The external antenna only applies to reception on the 7/800 band. On the G5, it has an internal loop antenna for VHF or UHF.

While the use of a longer antenna will increase reception distance (I prefer the RS800) if you are going that route, I’ve really found that it wasen’t that great of a distance while mobile to really justify it. The same reason why I use a stubby on my APX vs the longer factory antenna. With 7/800, it’s either there or it’s not.

NC3Z

I was a proponent of the longer antenna as I was seeing a 15dB improvement as I live in a very fringe area. But now that I had to send my 1 week old G4 to the factory as the antenna connector failed I will stick with the stock antenna from here on out.

seth21w

I have a moto antenna and the bnc adapter/rs800 and the motorola is the same range as the stock stub the rs800 is slightly better than stock, but not enough to tell much difference so i am just sticking with the stock stub, i chalk it up to me being used to scanners, and having to have many antennas! With this unication pager it is built to pick up clear even with just 1 signal bar. Just got to get used to not having to buy so many antennas to make it work. Because it just does!

KM4WLV

OK All

Got an antenna off Ebay - cheap Motorola type but it doesn't screw on deep enough to make contact. I will have to trim quite a bit of the base to get it to connect fully.

WHAT IS AN ANTENNA - That I DON'T HAVE to Trim for my G4 ?? Besides stock stubby.

If you're looking for an antenna you don't have to trim the skirt on then check out the Laird EXS8065F 800 stubby. No need to trim the skirt and it works great. If you compare the threads of it versus a Motorola the connector is just a bit shorter. The other positive with this particular antenna, due to its design, is that you can't crank it down so far like other antennas (Motorola for example) and chance either damaging the center pin or breaking it altogether. Here's a pic of it on my G5. As far as aesthetics I think it looks great.

c12e19f8b4113f83fb618353954c458e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Have you noticed a significant improvement with the Laird vs the factory ?

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
If you're looking for an antenna you don't have to trim the skirt on then check out the Laird EXS8065F 800 stubby. No need to trim the skirt and it works great. If you compare the threads of it versus a Motorola the connector is just a bit shorter. The other positive with this particular antenna, due to its design, is that you can't crank it down so far like other antennas (Motorola for example) and chance either damaging the center pin or breaking it altogether. Here's a pic of it on my G5. As far as aesthetics I think it looks great.

Two questions for you:

1. In an older post, you reported that you indeed ended up shaving a small amount of rubber off the Laird to make better center pin contact. Did that resolve the performance issue you reported in the same post?

2. I can't find that product number on the Laird site and makes me wonder if it's still in production. Also, I suspect the "5" should really be "S" when comparing to other Laird products, but that change yields no result either.
Can you supply a source for that product?

Thanks for any additional insight!

KM4WLV

Two questions for you:

1. In an older post, you reported that you indeed ended up shaving a small amount of rubber off the Laird to make better center pin contact. Did that resolve the performance issue you reported in the same post?

2. I can't find that product number on the Laird site and makes me wonder if it's still in production. Also, I suspect the "5" should really be "S" when comparing to other Laird products, but that change yields no result either.

Can you supply a source for that product?

Thanks for any additional insight!

I assure you it wasn't me that posted anything about trimming the Laird antenna down. It didn't need to be because of the threaded stud being shorter. It fits almost identical to the OEM antenna. In an earlier post in this thread I mentioned trimming my Motorola stubby down, which I posted side by side pics of. I'm posting a pic of my Laird antenna as it sits now showing it hasn't been trimmed. This is the same one currently on my G5. Also attaching some of the pics previously posted of it and the Motorola stubby I did trim down. (The first pic is the one I took just now, the second is a comparison of the Laird, Motorola, and OEM Unication antennas side by side)

On the part number it's EXS806SF. Gotta love autocorrect on phones lol. I don't remember where I purchased from. If you do a Google search with "Laird EXS806SF" you'll find what you're looking for.
9677ddc27399909c95138d37d9432e71.jpg

2c1867a62b65a21775c14261482e11a9.jpg

KM4WLV

Have you noticed a significant improvement with the Laird vs the factory ?

The Laird didn't really cause a noticeable improvement as far as reception. As long as you're within good RF coverage of what you're listening to its works fairly well compared to the OEM antenna. However it does struggle indoors depending on building construction. I've left it on recently but I also normally keep the Unication antenna in my pocket when I don't have my computer bag nearby where I normally keep spare antennas.

All in all I don't have any regrets about purchasing it because it really does work fairly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.