Antenna Tower Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy625

Can anyone identify this tower? I think its somewhere around 30 feet tall when all assembled as each section is about 8 feet long ( 3x8=24ft) plus that center pole which probably adds another 6 feet or so.

Seller wants $150 for it. I'm just looking to put an 8 to 10 foot long (2 meter band) antenna on top.

Any idea who makes it? I'd like to find some specifications.

Attachments

• Antenna.jpg
    Antenna.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 525

lmrtek

Looks like a free standing light duty tv tower to me
Doesn't look like it's designed to climb but it's likely light enough to mount on a hinge plate and push it up.
I sure wouldn't recommend using a long mast pipe like the one in the picture.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Seller wants $150 for it. I'm just looking to put an 8 to 10 foot long (2 meter band) antenna on top.

Seller is possibly smoking crack.

A used tower is a big question mark. You never know how the original owner used/abused it. Improper installation could have allowed water to build up inside. Could be rusting out internally. It'd need a really close inspection.
Even then, $150 for a 30 foot tower is high.

30 feet is all you need? Put up a pole.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Rohn 25G's have the "Z pattern bracing. That's not a Rohn 25G. 25G's also have two bolt holes on each leg. One 1/4 inch, one 5/16 inch, if I recall correctly.
I did have a tower similar looking to that for an old VHF paging system. I had it removed a few years ago. Never did find any identifiable markings on it.

Murphy625

UPDATE:

Well, I picked up the tower. Paid $100 for it.

Checked inside the tubes and they look brand new. The guy said he bought it new in 2016 and it was only up for 1 year.

Its 30 feet so I should be able to put a nice Diamond antenna at the top of it. I'm also going to mount some LED flood lights up there and a PTZ IP Camera. Its going to be a busy tower!

I'm already 250 feet above the rest of the metro area, all except some hills to the west of me. Getting up an extra 30 feet should help a lot with those hills and getting over some of the brush and trees everywhere else.

Its actually a pretty nice looking tower although it doesn't come with any hardware. I'll have to dig into my box of stainless steel bolts and also weld together a stainless base plate for it.

N5TWB

UPDATE:

Well, I picked up the tower. Paid $100 for it.

Checked inside the tubes and they look brand new. The guy said he bought it new in 2016 and it was only up for 1 year.

Its 30 feet so I should be able to put a nice Diamond antenna at the top of it. I'm also going to mount some LED flood lights up there and a PTZ IP Camera. Its going to be a busy tower!

I'm already 250 feet above the rest of the metro area, all except some hills to the west of me. Getting up an extra 30 feet should help a lot with those hills and getting over some of the brush and trees everywhere else.

Its actually a pretty nice looking tower although it doesn't come with any hardware. I'll have to dig into my box of stainless steel bolts and also weld together a stainless base plate for it.

There have been many complaints about LED lights and noisy power supplies/transformers. Recommend you check out whatever you're buying for RF suitability before mounting.

prcguy

Yup, I put up some IP cameras and had to wrap several turns of the CAT5 through ferrites at the camera and the router end to calm down some noise. Plus I always run shielded CAT5 to keep noise out of my radios and radios out of my IP network.
prcguy

There have been many complaints about LED lights and noisy power supplies/transformers. Recommend you check out whatever you're buying for RF suitability before mounting.

Status
Not open for further replies.