• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisKink

OK,I have done a search of the GMRS forums to no avail,so I'll ask here. I need a good mag mount antenna for GMRS to attach to a hand held. I plan on switching between multiple vehicles hence the need for a mag mount. So let's hear y'all's suggestions.

ergbert

Well, if you're strictly doing GMRS, a UHF 450-470 quarter wave whip is probably quite sufficient. You can easily find NMO magnet mounts for under $30, and the whips are frequently sub-$10 (Larsen, I expect other brands are similarly priced). The advantage to an NMO mount is that if you expand your frequencies, you only need a corresponding whip.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
After 30 years of being in this line of work, I can confidently recommend the Larsen brand products. While you can find less expensive antennas and mounts, you will not beat the quality and value. I'm running 20+ year old Larsen antennas, I use them almost exclusively for personal and work use. I've never had one let me down.
There are also other really good brands, Laird, MaxRad, etc.

Different radios have different antenna connectors, so you'll need to pick a radio to know which one you need.

I'd recommend this mount:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmommrfme-4523 $29.95

I'd recommend this antenna:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-qw450-797 $6.95
It's already tuned for the GMRS frequencies, so all you need to do is install it. No cutting or tuning required.

You'll need one of these adapters to go between the magnetic mount cable and your radio:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/adapters-304/fme-adapters-307/fme-male-adapters-320/

A quarter wave antenna, like I linked to above, will give you good all around performance. There are other higher gain antennas you can use, but higher gain antennas come at a trade off. Try the $6.95 quarter wave antenna first and see how it works. You'll always have a use for it, so it won't be lost money if you decide to go with something else later on.

I'd also recommend steering clear of the Chinese knock off antennas. Tram, Browning, and a few others are lower cost, lower quality replicas.
Also, stay away from the amateur/consumer grade antennas. Most of them are not designed for GMRS frequencies, and no matter what they claim, they have no magic to them that makes them work better than the commercial antennas.

A good basic antenna and mount will provide a lot of options at a low cost. Sticking with the NMO mounts will let you choose from the widest selection of antennas down the road.

DennisKink

After 30 years of being in this line of work, I can confidently recommend the Larsen brand products. While you can find less expensive antennas and mounts, you will not beat the quality and value. I'm running 20+ year old Larsen antennas, I use them almost exclusively for personal and work use. I've never had one let me down.
There are also other really good brands, Laird, MaxRad, etc.

Different radios have different antenna connectors, so you'll need to pick a radio to know which one you need.

I'd recommend this mount:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmommrfme-4523 $29.95

I'd recommend this antenna:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-qw450-797 $6.95
It's already tuned for the GMRS frequencies, so all you need to do is install it. No cutting or tuning required.

You'll need one of these adapters to go between the magnetic mount cable and your radio:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/adapters-304/fme-adapters-307/fme-male-adapters-320/

A quarter wave antenna, like I linked to above, will give you good all around performance. There are other higher gain antennas you can use, but higher gain antennas come at a trade off. Try the $6.95 quarter wave antenna first and see how it works. You'll always have a use for it, so it won't be lost money if you decide to go with something else later on.

I'd also recommend steering clear of the Chinese knock off antennas. Tram, Browning, and a few others are lower cost, lower quality replicas.
Also, stay away from the amateur/consumer grade antennas. Most of them are not designed for GMRS frequencies, and no matter what they claim, they have no magic to them that makes them work better than the commercial antennas.

A good basic antenna and mount will provide a lot of options at a low cost. Sticking with the NMO mounts will let you choose from the widest selection of antennas down the road.

I have bookmarked my shopping cart on all of your recommendations,but they are closed until June 1st,which is Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.