Antennas near Grand Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
I recently spent 10 days visiting friends in Grand Junction. I saw a cluster of 5 or 6 antenna towers on a hill outside the city; you can see them from just about everywhere so I'm sure they cover to the whole area.

I tried Googling them, but didn't have any luck. Does anyone know where I can find out what they're for & who owns them? I'm planning on moving to Grand Junction in a year or so & want to get an idea of what's out there for amateur radio and general monitoring. I'd also like to get involved with ARES/RACES when I relocate.
Thanks!

n0nhp

If you were looking South-West (above the Colorado National Monument), that is the Black Ridge Communications site.
Many of the local FM radio stations both high power and low power, business government and amateur stations have sites on the ridge.
With very good eyes or a pair of binoculars looking east at the north end of the Grand Mesa is the Palisade Point communications site. No high power FM commercial stations there but the mix is essentially the same as Black Ridge otherwise.

The Grand Mesa Repeater assn runs a linked repeater system that is the RACES backbone and 449.300 - 107.2 tone will get you into the system on Palisade Point. We have informal lunch meetings on Wednesdays and are happy to get interested people visiting. Ask where lunch is on the air around 11:00 if nobody else has.

Bruce

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
I know this is belated, but life does tend to get complicated at times. That being said, thanks for the suggestions & answers even if it was a couple months ago!

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
If you were looking South-West (above the Colorado National Monument), that is the Black Ridge Communications site.
Many of the local FM radio stations both high power and low power, business government and amateur stations have sites on the ridge.
With very good eyes or a pair of binoculars looking east at the north end of the Grand Mesa is the Palisade Point communications site. No high power FM commercial stations there but the mix is essentially the same as Black Ridge otherwise.

The Grand Mesa Repeater assn runs a linked repeater system that is the RACES backbone and 449.300 - 107.2 tone will get you into the system on Palisade Point. We have informal lunch meetings on Wednesdays and are happy to get interested people visiting. Ask where lunch is on the air around 11:00 if nobody else has.

Bruce

Bruce

Bruce,
I decided not to take any radios on my trip. I hadn't seen my friends in a year, so there was going to be a lot of catching up. That & they're not hams. However, I plan on moving to Grand Junction or in the area within the next year or two. It's good to know I'll have a group to get in touch with when I get there!

Chris

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
You are welcome.
Enjoy the stay

Bruce
Thanks. Sorry for long delays in responding, I'm not ignoring or ungrateful. Until recently my internet was down 90% of the time; Verizon DSL. Yeah....still DSL here! It's (hopefully) fixed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.