• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antron 99 questions

niceguy71

ok guys... you probably thought and hoped you got rid of me... sorry I'm BACK I'm slow but I'm persistent.
so I'm back with new newbie questions.
ok I have given up on the Shakespeare super big stick and begrudgingly bought an new Antron 99 with ground plane kit ( amazon $169 with free shipping)
I stuck it on my fence post JUST TO SEE IF IT WOULD WORK... and per the RigExpert antenna analyzer it looks like it is!!! big difference from the Shakespeare.....

first question.... this Antron came in a box with the Ground plane as part of the antenna.... it had 5 of the exact same 6 foot radials???? so I just figured the radials and the top of the antenna must be the same ( interchangeable) as there was no way to tell... anyone know if I'm right???
2nd
now I plan on painting it and testing it again.... I should have tested the big stick before painting.... anyway I'm not happy with the SWR of 1.5... but I also know I'm next to a building and on top of a metal fence... so I do have a 21 foot piece of 1" gas pipe in my plumbing shop... so I could stick that up in the air and try to do the adjusting rings... or should I just wait till the guys I hired to help put it up come and adjust it in it's final location???? it is going to be a pain to keep taking it up and down.... so I would kind of like to adjust it before I pay these guys by the hours.... but I don't want to waste my time adjusting it, if it's going to be off when I permanently mount it to the 32 foot mast?
last question
the Antron 99 makes a noise when I wiggle the bottom section??? like there is a wire sliding around in there.... I'm not really worried but I was surprised to hear it when I picked up the bottom section of the antenna... so I wiggled it a little and you can hear it slide around clear as day???? anyone else ever notice this?

has always thanks for any help

Attachments

• Antron 99 on fence.jpg
    Antron 99 on fence.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 32
  • SWR of Antron 99 on fence.jpg
    SWR of Antron 99 on fence.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 32

K6GBW

Just check the rings to make sure they are tightly together. Once it's up in the air that SWR will likely drop. Mine is almost perfectly flat on channel 19 and maybe 1.2 on the ends of the band. The antenna is very versitile. I tune it from 17m to 10m with a little MFJ-901B tuner. My furthest contact is New Zealand from Los Angeles, so they work.

niceguy71

Just curious, why are you painting it and with what kind of paint?
they tell me the fiberglass will become brittle and crack if you don't paint them??? I've read in many forums that people take them down in a few years to check or adjust and get fiberglass splinters because they were never painted???? and seeing I hope to have it up there for the next 20 years I figure a coat of paint can't hurt.... I am using Rustolum... three colors to camouflage it I am using an oil based paint with no metalic flake or lead... they tell me the paint will not affect the signal at all?? seeing New England has gray skys for 6 months of the year... then a beautiful blue the other 6 months.... with nice puffy white clouds... it will be painted gray blue and white.

DeeEx

I’ve had two Antron 99s and both have lasted 25+ years with minimal fiberglass splintering. The first one was given away when I moved to a new residence, the second is still in service about fifty feet away from me at this moment.

Each was coated with automotive wax before installation. It probably lasted less than a year, but at least it was some protection.

Quick and easy DIY improvement: the upper portion of the 99 is threaded 3/8x24, so I’ve always topped them with 1/4 wave stainless steel whips. Makes it more like an IMAX2000.

niceguy71

I painted the Antron 99 today.... I did it with a brush and it was going on VERY heavy.... later when I turned the antenna over to do the other side I found a lot of paint drips.... I have always heard paint will not affect the performance of the antenna at all... but what about these big globs of paint drips???? anyone know? ever run into trouble like this??? ... I can do a lot and try to do a nice job... but I HATE PAINTING and it shows.... I was looking at a antenna someone did that camo the antenna and they did an awesome job.. so I know to do camo you can't have any straight lines... so I painted it sky gray with puffs of sky blue.... but it looks TERRIBLE .... terrible or not it's going up soon.

Attachments

• antenna paint drips.jpg
    antenna paint drips.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 24
  • camo antron 99.jpg
    camo antron 99.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 21

niceguy71

Spray paint would of been better,I hope the paint you used already dont have any metal in it could mess up the SWR ......
it's just an oil based Rust oleum ..... shouldn't be any metal in it...... I used a spray can on my last antenna and it was $10 a can and spraying a thin antenna with a big spray was such a waste... so I thought I'd do a brush this time.... keeping my fingers crossed all the thick lumpy hundreds of drips of paint will not affect the performance.

prcguy

it's just an oil based Rust oleum ..... shouldn't be any metal in it...... I used a spray can on my last antenna and it was $10 a can and spraying a thin antenna with a big spray was such a waste... so I thought I'd do a brush this time.... keeping my fingers crossed all the thick lumpy hundreds of drips of paint will not affect the performance.
It should be fine.