Any CB traffic from Dallas to San Antonio on 35?

amoking

Echo
Premium Subscriber
I have to run down there in next week and was wondering if it was worth throwing up the antenna to pass the time. Not sure if there's any traffic except for the guys blowing out the channels from 3 states away.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I tuned a scanner to the CB channels last week on a trip from Ft Worth to San Marcos...not much! A few truckers chatting as they passed each other but that was it!

snerd

Listening.....
Premium Subscriber
My son came up to Little Rock and moved me back home to Oklahoma. He brought a little portable setup cb, 470 miles, heard 1 ask for a radio check. He was surprised, I wasn’t.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I use it for work. 300-days/year, approximately 2,000-hours annually. Direct effect on my health & wealth. To wit:

Quality of gear
Quality of installation
Willingness to get conversation going

Against time of day
Demographic
Route

I can’t remember a time that IH-35 didn’t have radio traffic, but I am willing to open my wallet and take the time to do credit to what HF needs. It’s a constant that I can speak with others that those right around me can’t even hear.

Example: the latest release has better RX in its range than an ICOM 7300.

Example: less than a 5’ antenna (permanent; roof-center; NMO suggested) isn’t worth having. RF Bonding a given.

Example: RF/CMC Choke strongly recommended just as with ultra-clean DC power.

Amateur Mobile Installation

Radio Skip is a problem, discouraging, but not a real barrier.

Willingness to practice conversation eventually lands on formulas which work.

Knowing when the majority of users (truck drivers) are likely to be on-air, and,

Knowing “where” a truck traffic nexus is located

Etc.

2024 is not 1989.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
By one of our contributors using 2024-gear with a VG base station set-up. This video is practically the single one you’ll find which gives accurate audio reproduction.

My mobile wouldn’t have been different to above 90% parked nearby:

A good amount of this is Skip, but not all.

Why aren’t you experiencing same?

This is obtainable — as above — with right gear and right practice.

Just the radio enabled me to remove $700 of gear with a $280 replacement. Revolution inbound started in 2023. Bring the rest up to par.

First Entrant:

DSP filtration is the radio minimum just as a 5’ antenna is that minimum. Or power from BATT the 12-VDC minimum.

NRC

Last edited:

BaLa

I am a trucker in the area. CB is always on 19.

Occasional Convos
Some Pilot and or Oversize type stuff
Bunch of Junk/skip and radio warriors.

I think that pretty much sums it up.
I drive Oversize without Pilots.

It's gonna be hit or miss.
I wouldn't bother with CB myself.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I am a trucker in the area. CB is always on 19.

Occasional Convos
Some Pilot and or Oversize type stuff
Bunch of Junk/skip and radio warriors.

I think that pretty much sums it up.
I drive Oversize without Pilots.

It's gonna be hit or miss.
I wouldn't bother with CB myself.

Obsolete-design radio gear compounded by less than ideal installation.

I’ve had more than ten years of using DSP (amateur gear) to cut thru the noise to hear that of which you’re unaware is present. Nationally, not just Texas.

Latest gear is a revelation. I’ve removed $700 worth in favor of this type. This example is EZ fit. Get an antenna to 14’ clearance (SIRIO 5000 3/8 on 44” shaft if a fleet truck), and you’ll find that opinions can be just as obsolete as outmoded gear.

IH35 isn’t ever going to be as busy on AM-19 as IH-80 thru Pennsylvania despite similar truck traffic volume.

But you’ll hear that you’ve never heard before. Was always present, but your current radio rig can’t filter it adequately.

Last edited:

BaLa

Obsolete-design radio gear compounded by less than ideal installation.

I’ve had more than ten years of using DSP (amateur gear) to cut thru the noise to hear that of which you’re unaware is present. Nationally, not just Texas.

Latest gear is a revelation. I’ve removed $700 worth in favor of this type. This example is EZ fit. Get an antenna to 14’ clearance (SIRIO 5000 3/8 on 44” shaft if a fleet truck), and you’ll find that opinions can be just as obsolete as outmoded gear.

IH35 isn’t ever going to be as busy on AM-19 as IH-80 thru Pennsylvania despite similar truck traffic volume.

But you’ll hear that you’ve never heard before. Was always present, but your current radio rig can’t filter it adequately.

I saw that.

But for me and most of my Co Workers.
We are using company provided CBs and Equipment. If it needs replacing Amazon is not an option.
I bought 1 CB in my life and unlikely I will ever buy another one.

btw. How do you get around the 4 Watt Max on CB Freqs? (except 12/SSB).
Or just blasting everyone with the 80 Watts.