• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

any chrysler mechanics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted on an auto site but I figured What the heck and will post it here too... Any suggestions from mechanics or anyone great with cars...I need some sort of lead on this..

I have a 1998 Sebring that has a few problems, The vehicle runs (Thank goodness) but it's having some Issues

* Under load (accelerating mostly) there is a high to low pitched whine in the motor/trans (motor I think)

* on the low side of normal Oil pressure,

* right turns w/o accelerations will cause the car to stall

* Random Warning lights come and go briefly

* Leaks oil but no smoke out the back or drops of oil on the ground, heavy cakeing around the filler cap, Burnoff when the car idles after being driven ( I think the leak is somewhere in the top of the motor and it hits the exause manifolds and burns off, Possible Valve cover gasket?

This car my sisters had for about a year, The previous owner let it sit for some time, and the family took it from him and sold it to us, (the were the owners before that, that sold it to her son) and it was a daily driver before it was sold to her son. We've done a full tune up on it... brakes, new battery, new belts.

my main concern is the noise coming from the motor, Last night I checked the oil level and none read on the stick (useless stick anyways, just 2 notches in it) and I added probably 2-3 quarts to get the level between the notches, before that the Whine was incredibly loud, With the oil added it deadend the sound some but not totally, my sister called again and said on the way home from work that it was whineing fairly loud again, I'm worried about the bearings and all the other lower engine workings, I've told her not to drive it anymore pending my exam and the original owners exam (pretty good mechanic) Any suggestions from Y'all would really help me in the right direction on this car..

Thanks

~C.H

oil pump?
Engine Bearings?
Belt too tight?
water pump?
Power steering motor?

Could be a headgasket!! haaa

These are the only things i know that can make a whine sound on a car like that.....

If ur losing oil then u probably need a gasket(s), if ur losing oil and the temp gauge stays normal that is. If ur getting overheated then .....

Go get the computer coded..

I've done the OBD computer, there was some misc Codes from before the tuneup Ie Misfires but none that were recent. the head gasket crossed my mind, so did the bearings on the crank.. I've eliminated the water pump seizure/malfunction Power steering is tight and no slip on the pulleys belt tension may be a little taught but not overwhelmingly so..

I'm hoping that the bearings arnt shot to sheet.. those are a PITA to get fixed and with a closed in motor this car has.....eesh I dont even want to think about it lol

chedderhead said:
Posted on an auto site but I figured What the heck and will post it here too... Any suggestions from mechanics or anyone great with cars...I need some sort of lead on this..

I have a 1998 Sebring that has a few problems, The vehicle runs (Thank goodness) but it's having some Issues

* Under load (accelerating mostly) there is a high to low pitched whine in the motor/trans (motor I think)

* Leaks oil but no smoke out the back or drops of oil on the ground, heavy cakeing around the filler cap, Burnoff when the car idles after being driven ( I think the leak is somewhere in the top of the motor and it hits the exause manifolds and burns off, Possible Valve cover gasket?

This car my sisters had for about a year, The previous owner let it sit for some time, and the family took it from him and sold it to us, (the were the owners before that, that sold it to her son) and it was a daily driver before it was sold to her son. We've done a full tune up on it... brakes, new battery, new belts.

my main concern is the noise coming from the motor, Last night I checked the oil level and none read on the stick (useless stick anyways, just 2 notches in it) and I added probably 2-3 quarts to get the level between the notches, before that the Whine was incredibly loud, With the oil added it deadend the sound some but not totally, my sister called again and said on the way home from work that it was whineing fairly loud again, I'm worried about the bearings and all the other lower engine workings, I've told her not to drive it anymore pending my exam and the original owners exam (pretty good mechanic) Any suggestions from Y'all would really help me in the right direction on this car..

Thanks

~C.H
1) I have heard cars doing this thru the throttle body or somewhere near it, would not worry if it causes no problems

2) Not really a problem, cars got some age to it, try a oil treatment of some sort to get rid of some sludge

3)Sounds to me like a vacuum leak, could also be the source of number 1

4) Again sounds like a vacuum leak, if it really bothers you take to a shop and have codes pulled

5) Some older car leak oil, I would check the usual suspects like you said valve covers

Hope this helps!

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
The whine is probably the power steering pump or the A/C pump with the outside possiblilty that it is the alternator, but they usually click and lose voltage output very fast when they go. The odor you smell/smoke you see underhood could be a leaking power steering pump. Steering would get noticibly heavy as it gets low though.

Headgasket: check coolant for presence of oil and vice-versa.

I wouldnt trust the dashboard's oil pressure guage. If that is reading on the low side of normal, take that as just plain "low" you may want to drain the oil and see how much there is in the motor and oil filter. The weather is nice and an oil change is easy and will not hurt.

Here is an idea and a simple check: Look at the belt tensioner. If you have a loose tensioner. (Auto E.D.) then you can get all sorts of symptoms with no apparant cure. May have belt slippage and slack causing alternator to put out low volts, PS pump to surge, vac pump (if equipped) to cause codes to toss etc.

as far as the stalling in right hand turns. Check your Idle Air Control valve, if not, then vac leak is the next culprit.

Random warning lights? Do they just come and flash off? like suddenly? or do they go into the computer's memory to be stored for a later OBDII scan? If they are not being stored, then you may have a short. Being that it is a sebring, I would expect it to be a convertable, and if so, you may have a leaker. That is the behavior of a car with water shorting issues. Or just shorting issues in general. If the car had been sitting. Expect that mice/rodents have buillt a nest in there somewhere and chewed up some wires. Dont be suprised to see rat **** when you pull the plenum off to do the valve cover gaskets.

Bearings: you would know if the bearings were kaput. Trust me. More likely valve job. Probably some slop there if not a few burned valves. Sounds like blowby.

VC gaskets are due for change on that car leaking or not.

Tell your sister to sell that p00per and get a Honda or Toyota ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions :) I'll be sure to look out for them, this is a rare sebring, it's not the convertible :p and she's stuck with the car untill she pays me back for it. FWC would appreciate a 2200lb car in one of their lakes lol

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
chedderhead said:
Thanks for the suggestions :) I'll be sure to look out for them, this is a rare sebring, it's not the convertible :p and she's stuck with the car untill she pays me back for it. FWC would appreciate a 2200lb car in one of their lakes lol

hah, wow a sebring coupe? havent seen one of those in years. Is your air dam sagging like the rest of them?

You could "donate" the car to the lake as an artificial reef and write it off your taxes:wink: Think Green

Suprisingly the air dam isnt sagging! even after the hell of putting it on my flatbed!
(Towed it once) she'd be mad if i Reef'd her car...As green of an idea as it is lol

mciupa

I will never again purchase Chrysler , those damn mechanics are the busiest around , for good reason .
Their products SUCK!

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
mciupa said:
I will never again purchase Chrysler , those damn mechanics are the busiest around , for good reason .
Their products SUCK!
Their cross-town buddies at GM and Ford are not far behind them either, but Chrysler is by far the worst of the three major domestics.

fnnm1062

longtime member
Chrysler products from 1997-2002 mainly the sebrings, concordes, intrepids all had problems with the engines. Tha main reason was the oil ports were drilled to small, which lead to a slude problem, which then ultimately lead to the engine failure. I had the same problems you described with my 1999 Concorde, it is a well documented problem on the internet, but Chrysler refuses to do anything about, they state it is the customers problem. pm me if you want more info

RHFD910 said:
Chrysler products from 1997-2002 mainly the sebrings, concordes, intrepids all had problems with the engines. Tha main reason was the oil ports were drilled to small, which lead to a slude problem, which then ultimately lead to the engine failure. I had the same problems you described with my 1999 Concorde, it is a well documented problem on the internet, but Chrysler refuses to do anything about, they state it is the customers problem. pm me if you want more info
Yea my aunts chryslers engine overheated and blew up. Took a look at the oil and it was empty.

btw, any old car or car running rough should just have the Throttle position sensor checked, the IAC motor and a vacuum checked, clean the Intake, clean the fual system and check the belts. If u still got problems you probobly need an organ transplant. ps spark plugs don't qualify as an organ.

I just got out of one of those POS's. They are flawed from the ground up. Chrysler is dealing with two class action lawsuits on that car.

chedderhead said:

Thanks

~C.H

RHFD910 said:
Lucky for the op, his 2 door coupe was most likely made by Mitsubishi with their motor.

The 2 door coupes / hard top (NOT Convertibles) were the only model they "contracted out" and do not have the engne oil port diameter issue described.

I'm suprised this is still going on lol. I dont know who made the motor, I dont have any manuals for this car. but it's a good runner. untill the power steering failed it had no problems (that I was told anyways) besides the oil seeping from the cover gasket which one is simple the other is a PITA With the intake going over it...

Status
Not open for further replies.