• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Any Ham a member of the OMISS Group ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Premium Subscriber
Ok Hams are you a member of the OM International Sideband Society and if so what is your OMISS # ? Mine is 5631.

nexus

I'm pending.... Sent in application last week. I'm also going to be good in the QSL Buro @ OMISS as well with 5 SASE's on file.

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No, I'm not. But thanks for asking. There is nothing wrong of course with any of these additional social-special purpose groups but most hams I know don't want to join such a group that issues and uses member numbers. They say it sounds too CB-Freebanderish. Their ham call is good enough for them.

I'm a long-time Tech and when I upgrade I'll be working mostly SSB on all bands that I have radio & antenna for. I don't know if I'll be motivated to join any additional "clubs" or not.

TNX

nexus

OMISS isn't about the member number. In fact its hardly ever used from what I can tell on a net. The OMISS group is a service group. If you're a paper chaser (certificate seeker, or award seeker) OMISS is the place to be because being on an OMISS net will help you fast-track your completetion to an award. For example, WAS (worked all states) Usually you can find a lot of states represented on one net. You can get the chance to work who you need in order to get your award, they also provide a free to members/nonmembers qsl buro so getting the important qsl cards becomes easier.

In fact, my very first night checking into the OMISS net on 40 meters I made contact with a member who had been waiting on Mississippi to complete his WAS award. As soon as I checked in, the Net control directed him to contact me right away. In a moment's time he had his confirmation and now can get his award. Being a member and using your mumber number only allows you to apply for "special member certificates and awards." But non-members can certainly join in the nets, work stations for non-omiss awards, like ARRL's WAS, DXCC, WAZ, WAC, etc. And if you do decide you want the OMISS awards, just become a member, get a member number and you can apply any and all member-supported QSO/QSL's via their net for their awards.

But if your bag isn't paper chasing, then fine, no need for you to be a member of OMISS, but if you do, then getting on the OMISS nets (either as or not as a member) will certainly help you.

http://www.omiss.net/
They meet on 7263.5 LSB daily at 0100 ZULU

Last edited:

AC0RV

Premium Subscriber
Jim I am afraid that you had the frequency wrong. It is 7233.5 on 40 and 3940.5 on 80 and 14290 on 20.

AC0RV

Premium Subscriber
Talk about having pie on my face. Opps I made a mistake on the 40 m frequency. It should be 7263.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.